Thread: Spring bear and truck noise

Spring bear and truck noise

No such thing as a stupid question right , well me and my close friend and hunting buddy are going next weekend for our last shot at spring black bear. We have a long weekend, so up where we need to be Thursday night and hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning until we have to come back home for work Monday. We are taking “bear minimum” and hauling ass up to our spot sleeping in our truck for the weekend hoping to tag out.

Now my my question is; does a louder then normal ( not obnoxious) exhaust scare away black bears? My reason for asking, my buddies truck has a way bigger gas tank but louder exhaust then my truck which has a normal size gas tank. Basically that’s the only reason to take his truck haha.

Im on the fence about this and thought to ask here. Im not sure. If it was deer I would say his truck is too loud but for bear honestly his truck is just as loud as an ATV I think and those in my experience don’t scare bears.

So so what’s everyone’s thoughts? I know this can be seen as a stupid question but a question non the less. I think for bear it’s 50/50 and for any other animal hunting I’d say a loud exhaust is no good for driving into an area to hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring bear and truck noise

Get out and walk and glass, your best option to see bears.that way the trucks noise plays no part in it. And bring a distress call.

Sorry forgot to add, we do spot and stalk not road hunt. But to get into our area we drive then we walk Kms on foot to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Get out and walk and glass, your best option to see bears.that way the trucks noise plays no part in it. And bring a distress call.
    Lol, as if more bears will be seen on foot.

Driving roads = the most bears seen.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I have watched bears flop down suddenly and stay there till a vehicle passes only to pop back up and carry on feeding .
    If you want a mature black drive till you see sign on the road .Park get out and walk the treelines for sign, looking for trails and feeding plots of lush vegetation .Go back the next morning, park aways away, walk in and glass your tree line and feeding areas .Spot and stalk .Repeat as required

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    I have watched bears flop down suddenly and stay there till a vehicle passes only to pop back up and carry on feeding .
    If you want a mature black drive till you see sign on the road .Park get out and walk the treelines for sign, looking for trails and feeding plots of lush vegetation .Go back the next morning, park aways away, walk in and glass your tree line and feeding areas .Spot and stalk .Repeat as required
    Yup. What he said above. They hear you coming and hide and when you are gone, often appear right back where they were. I personally find bears to be very noise sensitive and they are more likely to book it if you see them while driving than other game....in my experience. If you are going to spot and stalk and walk then it doesn't matter what you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post

Almost all the bears we see are by driving. I drive a fairly loud diesel.
    Last time we(3 hunting parties) were in the Farewell, Big Creek, Gang, Empire area we could have shot well over a dozen black bears in 3 or 4 days. None of us hunt bear.
    Keep an eye on swampy, watery, grassy with berries areas.

Remember the watering holes!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post

I would have to agree....unfortunately, lol that's why I don't kill a lot of bears, because when I get time to hunt I'm always hiking...covering ground with bears I find is productive....