Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk valley fly fishing

Elk valley fly fishing

Well I found my self moving to sparwood area. I’m still in the process of moving here permanently. Most of my fishing has been still water, float tube fishing in the interior. I’m pretty green to fly fishing on rivers and streams. I’m just looking for some direction on fishing the area, like what gear is needed, maybe time of year for certain species, things like that. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Also most of my fishing has been in the back country as I don’t like crowds, so once things settle down I hope to explore and hike around abit, hopefuly with my float tube for some high elevation lakes.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk valley fly fishing

Frank, Frankly you Found a fabulous flyfishing Frontier.....

Elk River, Michel up Corbin Road, Wigwam, Fording........
    you wont really need much help.. Go to the flyfishing shop in Fernie and buy a pile of Dries..... Buy every life stage of Caddis and Mayfly... some Stimulators and what not ... all in Size 14 and smaller....
    Elk is busy around Sparwood and Fernie.. but is less busy above Elkford.... Wig is getting busy, it used to be really quiet.... lots of walk and wade down there.... Michel is full of Hogs but busy as well...

My wife and I have driven 13 hours to There 8 years running to fish........
    why do you need a million flies? that is the only place I have ever fished that one fly works in one pool and 30' down river they wont take it..... then you cast each fly 2-3 times and row your way through the box till you find the winner.....
    as long as you can cast 30' ... you just need to buy Fuel and go to find the accesses to every river I mentioned... all day trips for you....

you also have the Flathead and St Maries a bit further away....... ugggg... Dam you! lol

You are in for a treat. Cutthroat are always looking up, and are very aggressive. Stimulators, foam hoppers, Chernobyl ant, and a good selection of mayfly. Pm me for my Chernobyl ant pattern that was my go to...i know the guy above me said 14 and smaller but I've had luck on some massive foamies stripped across with tons of movement.

Danny,

We fished there in early July and first 2 weeks of September, not really Grasshopper time. Were you there more late July August? ...... Really these rivers are dry fly paradise.... And honestly when we started there we were small flies and never did give big stuff a try..... that might be why it never worked for us?

This is what I like to hear. I guess I’m have to invest in some newer better waders and boots.

Frank, you’re in one of BC’s best areas. It won’t take long to figure it out either. Dry fly fishing is my all time favorite, especially when the ants, hoppers and big caddis hit the water. Your local shop will point you in the right direction and then it’s just time to become proficient. As with all catch and release, etiquette is key. Playing(not too long), netting(with a proper soft touch or rubber net) and not allowing fish to bash on the rocks are a big part of river/stream fishing. Pack a gun with you as there are lots of griz in that area too. Good luck.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

[QUOTE=Ride Red;2097454]Frank, you’re in one of BC’s best areas. It won’t take long to figure it out either. Dry fly fishing is my all time favorite, especially when the ants, hoppers and big caddis hit the water. Your local shop will point you in the right direction and then it’s just time to become proficient. As with all catch and release, etiquette is key. Playing(not too long), netting(with a proper soft touch or rubber net) and not allowing fish to bash on the rocks are a big part of river/stream fishing. Pack a gun with you as there are lots of griz in that area too. Good luck.
    PS. I may be that way this August.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Frank, you’re in one of BC’s best areas. It won’t take long to figure it out either. Dry fly fishing is my all time favorite, especially when the ants, hoppers and big caddis hit the water. Your local shop will point you in the right direction and then it’s just time to become proficient. As with all catch and release, etiquette is key. Playing(not too long), netting(with a proper soft touch or rubber net) and not allowing fish to bash on the rocks are a big part of river/stream fishing. Pack a gun with you as there are lots of griz in that area too. Good luck.

fully agree with every point here.

Awesome. I have an excuse to get new fishing gear and a new gun.