Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elk valley fly fishing

Re: Elk valley fly fishing

We just used wader boots and neoprene socks... all the rivers are ice cold even when its 35+ out but you are not really standing in them,, just crossing... and when you do need to stand in them its almost refreshing!
    the area as a whole you need a 4# and an 8# ish ... I almost wanted a 10 on the Wig a couple times.... as far as a gun we use a maverick 88 12ga with 3" Tripple o.... but a 45-70 would probably be more diverse.... but more money too.
    you can argue bear defense guns all day and basically be split between a 45-70 and a 18" barrel 12ga with the butt (not pistol grip) ammo for both is a whole nuther debate.... Brenneke slugs,,,000.... whatever it is it must remain on your person.. not for law, but for purpose....

I was literally talking about my adventures over there this morning at work....

You don't need to pack a gun, unless you are citified and scared shitless of the bush! Grizzly are not an issue, assholes with guns are! I guns and use them for the appropriate season, have many years and days each season in remote areas and can tell you that all you will see after first contact is their butts!

This is a real intelligent response
    i must be an asshole with a gun then
    take a gun it may save your life
    not saying there are bears hiding behind every tree waiting to eat you
    but all it takes is one bad encounter
    id rather defend my self with a gun then ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Danny,

We fished there in early July and first 2 weeks of September, not really Grasshopper time. Were you there more late July August? ...... Really these rivers are dry fly paradise.... And honestly when we started there we were small flies and never did give big stuff a try..... that might be why it never worked for us?
    First couple weeks of july is always a bit slower so they smaller stuff worked fine. Other than that tight into september I would be tying on something pretty big...with the exception of mayfly's. Even into october you can get some massive sized caddis hatches

Quote Originally Posted by JAGRMEISTER View Post
    You don't need to pack a gun, unless you are citified and scared shitless of the bush! Grizzly are not an issue, assholes with guns are! I guns and use them for the appropriate season, have many years and days each season in remote areas and can tell you that all you will see after first contact is their butts!
    You don’t need to be worried about fishermen packing a gun unless you are citified and believe nobody should be packing them cus guns are scary!