Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Viking fuel economy?

Yamaha Viking fuel economy?

It's time to purchase a new side by side for the family. Based on our needs and comfortability, we have decided on the Yamaha Viking 700, built for 3 passengers. Obviously everyone has their preferences and reasons for what they like, which I respect. Also, every make and model have good machines and lemons. I am curious to hear from anyone that has one how many kilometers they usually get on a tank. There are many factors that come in play but a general idea would be nice. Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Re: Yamaha Viking fuel economy?

I have a 2016 with about 2,500 kms on it. If I'm not mistaken it is a 37 liter tank. Carrying 3 robust individuals, all their gear and 3 - 50+ lbs Elkhounds, I typically use about 20 liters to go about 160 kms, so about 300 kms on a tank. That's about 13 liters/100kms. I'm not racing around at breakneck speed, a la Razrs, but clipping along at a good pace to get back to the areas were are going to hunt.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Wow, my superduty gets 15/100K.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

OP, I can't comment on fuel economy but will say that you won't regret the purchase. I have an '07 Rhino that has been impeccably reliable and a real workhorse. Yamaha makes good stuff.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Not crawling around up hills and through thick $hit it wouldn't. My 1500 gets 12-13 on the highway, 18-19 in the city and 27-28 when it is towing my travel trailer. If I were to drive it up FSRs and goat trails it would get around 20 liters/100 kms and get the $hit beat out of it. Viking is specifically built for the nasty stuff.
    Last edited by Grumpa Joe; 06-14-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

As a passenger in the above viking I think the machine is awesome and it will get you into areas I wont take my truck. thumbs up from me

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    What year of Superduty gets 15L per 100Kms on FSR ??????

From Driving.ca on the 2018 with optimum conditions

The transmission is still a TorqShift six-speed automatic that feels suited to the truck; Ford’s 10 speed, if it could handle that much torque, might prove to be too busy. Fuel consumption dropped to a low of 12.4 L/100 kilometres during some light highway driving at 100 km/h, but the average long-term consumption was closer to 18.
    Last edited by Elkhound; 06-14-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Fuel economy is generally meaningless, but tank size isn't. It's called range.

I was just saying that the fuel consumption monitor hangs around 15.3 L/100 k on my 2016 Superduty. Now thats not on a FSR, and its probably not that accurate, and Im sure the Viking is a fine machine, I was just surprised how close those numbers were. Tomatoes and potatoes, but still I was surprised.

I wonder what my RZR 570 gets?
    Last edited by Island Idiots; 06-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I purchased a Viking last year to use mainly for hunting and a little bit of joy riding. In stock form the machine performed as expected. It got me most places I wanted to go but a few places I couldn’t due to the fairly low ground clearance with the stock tires. I would typically get 250+ km range except when I hunt late season in the snow. I’ve added 30” tires to improve ground clearance but don’t have enough time on it yet to say how much it will hurt my fuel economy. Over all though I am extremely pleased with the viking and in my opinion it’s far more enjoyable to ride than my grizzly