Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First solo camping trip in the koots

Re: First solo camping trip in the koots

Some of my best times have been alone in the wilderness.

Go have fun , worry more about being in a car accident on your way there.

If I went alone I would have one of those fishing line perimeter things with bells on it. They weigh nothing and alert you to anything close.
    I can't find it for sale anymore. There were 20" tent poles with a loop at the top for the fishing line. It was called a trip wire alarm. 4 clip on fishing bells were included. Don't forget a flashlight!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Have fun, I love camping solo.

Don't worry too much about bears but keep your wits and your gun about you. Don't bother with a warning shot if you feel you need to pull the trigger and definitely don't bother with birdshot or buckshot.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Years ago I did some major hikes into & out of a backcountry lodge in the Kimberley area (south of the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy), always in a group of at least 4 though & with a dog. No firearms. Never encountered a bear but plenty of sign, scat piles. Have done some solo overnighters in the Monashees during hunting season in a tent though. Spotted black bears cavorting on a hillside cutblock but no grizz, although I'm quite certain the region holds that species as well. When I bedded down for the night, the shotgun was handy with slugs in the magazine. Not sure I'd go with the mickey of whiskey to help me sleep as suggested in a previous post though, might want to be mostly unimpaired if I had to rouse in a hurry.

Spectacular country the Koots, especially in the fall when the Larch start turning. Photos from fall 2012.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.

no small game open and no blacktails to scout...

you should see whitetails however...

i have shot two bears in defence...bring your shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Years ago I did some major hikes into & out of a backcountry lodge in the Kimberley area (south of the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy), always in a group of at least 4 though & with a dog. No firearms. Never encountered a bear but plenty of sign, scat piles. Have done some solo overnighters in the Monashees during hunting season in a tent though. Spotted black bears cavorting on a hillside cutblock but no grizz, although I'm quite certain the region holds that species as well. When I bedded down for the night, the shotgun was handy with slugs in the magazine. Not sure I'd go with the mickey of whiskey to help me sleep as suggested in a previous post though, might want to be mostly unimpaired if I had to rouse in a hurry.

Spectacular country the Koots, especially in the fall when the Larch start turning. Photos from fall 2012.

Love those larch trees.

Brenneke slugs may be hard come by, but if you can source, buy them.
    Packing a SPOT or Inreach device would certainly be worthy should you find a grizzly kill and he should find you. If you should encounter a grizz or even a black bear, do not turn your back to him as you backup/retreat. Much easier to shoot if you see them charging than it is to hear them charging. Also, there is a camp perimeter device called PackAlarm. Once upon a time, they were available from this site, however, you can acquire them here. http://www.packalarm.net/index.htm
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    So next week I'm heading to six mile lakes area around nelson to do some fishing and maybe sit for some small game if I'm up for it. I'm new here from ontario and have never had a bear encounter before. I'm bringing my 12 gauge and slugs for grizz protection. Anything else I need to consider? We dont have grizz back east lol.....
    There has been a lot of recent bear sightings, mostly black but also some grizz, you could phone the CO's office & inquire about the grizz in the area you are planning to go. Talking to locals may also help.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
    Isn't coyote open all year? I'll have to check my reg book when I get home.
    It isn't in region 4, Sept 10-Mar31. The only thing open all year in region 4 are schedule c animals(feral/non-native species) and I'm not sure if you'll find many of those.
    Seriously though being in the wilderness solo is always an adventure, do some fishing, hike lots, glass some hillsides and you'll start seeing game. It's always a learning experience watching animals going about their daily routines when they don't know you're watching. You don't always have to have a gun in hand to practise your hunting skills, try spotting a buck or bull and then try putting yourself in a position where you could take a shot when the season is open. Spotting the animals is only the first thing that has to go right, stalking into range takes a lot of patience and practise.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    It isn't in region 4, Sept 10-Mar31. The only thing open all year in region 4 are schedule c animals(feral/non-native species) and I'm not sure if you'll find many of those.
    Seriously though being in the wilderness solo is always an adventure, do some fishing, hike lots, glass some hillsides and you'll start seeing game. It's always a learning experience watching animals going about their daily routines when they don't know you're watching. You don't always have to have a gun in hand to practise your hunting skills, try spotting a buck or bull and then try putting yourself in a position where you could take a shot when the season is open. Spotting the animals is only the first thing that has to go right, stalking into range takes a lot of patience and practise.
    Well said. Thank you

I’m surprised. Brambles hasn’t chipped in on his encounter. Come to think of it, where is Brambles anyhow ?
    Take a lesson from Brambles, do not camp on any game trails. Bears use them and will wake you up. 😆
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"