Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Ranchers Ever Lose Calves to Black Bears

Re: Do Ranchers Ever Lose Calves to Black Bears

I am with BV on this. I had a very nice rancher couple and their young daughter from Hudson Hope charter me for a fishing trip on the west coast. We got talking about the bear problems/numbers and the losses that the ranchers face from bears. He told me a story of a Gbear on his ranch, took down a cow, then a calf . He call the CO's office and told them he has a problem bear can they come out and take care of it, NOPE was the reply. So the bear comes back and kills another calf so he shoots it while it was doing so. They charged him, took him to court, said it was the worst thing he has ever had to go through, in the end he got off but the stress and money spend really left a mark on him. He told me that he would never call and report again, said from then on he would just fire up the backhoe and dig a little dirt. As much as i may poke BV and Gcreek the odd time (and they may poke me back ) i am 100% on their side on this.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Where is the "LIKE" Button ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Seriously? Do you argue just to hear your own voice ? Post to see it in print ? Go sit in the corner, think real hard and I am sure you can come up with the answer.
    Whos arguing just find it weird how many are ok with shooting and burying wildlife.
    Last edited by LBM; 06-18-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    LBM, you missed answering one simple question....what have you personally done lately for the good of wildlife other than criticize others on here?
    I might as well throw out another question....have you had tea & cookies with Sadie Parr recently?
    I always find it funny how some complain about other people but then are doing exactly what they are complaining about.
    Sorry don't no any one named Sadie Parr.
    I didn't shoot the last bear that walked through the yard, I consider them wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    I am with BV on this. I had a very nice rancher couple and their young daughter from Hudson Hope charter me for a fishing trip on the west coast. We got talking about the bear problems/numbers and the losses that the ranchers face from bears. He told me a story of a Gbear on his ranch, took down a cow, then a calf . He call the CO's office and told them he has a problem bear can they come out and take care of it, NOPE was the reply. So the bear comes back and kills another calf so he shoots it while it was doing so. They charged him, took him to court, said it was the worst thing he has ever had to go through, in the end he got off but the stress and money spend really left a mark on him. He told me that he would never call and report again, said from then on he would just fire up the backhoe and dig a little dirt. As much as i may poke BV and Gcreek the odd time (and they may poke me back ) i am 100% on their side on this.
    Could depend on the rancher or the CO I guess, maybe there was history there that is not being mentioned, or more to the story. Sounds kind of strange.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Could depend on the rancher or the CO I guess, maybe there was history there that is not being mentioned, or more to the story. Sounds kind of strange.
    Could depend on a lot of things, one of which being that many people have bought into the notion that bears lives are somehow more important than human lives and livelihoods.

I'm not endorsing the SSS system, but I can definitely understand how many ranchers would feel backed into that corner.

He is not the only rancher i know personally that has a similar story, same sort of thing happened last year where my cabin is. called the CO about Gbear mom and cubs stalking the sheep heard, can you come out and do something, answer NO. So next day lots of wool all over the place, yup you guessed it dead sheep strewn over the field. Call the CO well now what, he comes out and shoots all 3, last story i will tell and yes i do have more, maybe go out and pet your pet bear next time he comes by for a visit....
    Last edited by Piperdown; 06-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Whos arguing just find it weird how many are ok with shooting and burying wildlife.
    The original post simply asked the question " do ranchers ever lose calves to bears " and you now have brought it to " weird how many are ok with shooting and burying wildlife " ??? Any other scenario's that could possibly happen in that imagination of yours ?

I always find it funny how some complain about other people but then are doing exactly what they are complaining about.
    Sorry don't no any one named Sadie Parr.
    I didn't shoot the last bear that walked through the yard, I consider them wildlife.
    I be you would have shot pretty damned quick if it had been after one of your pets or kids. Huge difference between a bear walking thru(which they do all the time on farms and ranches) without causing trouble or even being noticed. But when they start looking at your investment s a "free lunch" that sir is a whole other kettle of fish. Tell us what experience do you have trying to run a ranch and break even in predator country.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I . Tell us what experience do you have trying to run a ranch and break even in predator country.
    A day of silence kind of answers that.