Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Re: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    That's a really good question.. I'd be on the fence, but let's be honest if I'm going to get it, it'll be when I dress or butcher the bear as without fail I cut myself each time lol
    You cannot contract trichinosis via open cut. The larvae need to be digested in order to transfer to human host. The larvae are present in the skeletal muscle tissue. I have accidently cut myself a few times while butchering bear. it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
    I don't see the point in throwing it out. Even if the bear doesn't have tric, it probably has something else. They are scavengers, just go 160, or 170 for good measure and let 'er buck.

Also, as I understand it you wouldn't get tric from getting bear blood or meat in a cut. To get trichinosis you have to ingest a decent amount of the larvae which sit dormant in the meat of the bear in calcified cysts. That is until something ingests it and the stomach acids of that something dissolves the cysts letting the little dudes free. Even so, tric sounds pretty mild to me, in a game of would you rather I would take trichinosis over a fair number of other diseases.

Correctamundo!!

Why would anyone knowingly eat worms?? There is only one thing to do with a bear!!!

I don't believe the lab does this anymore. There was a thread here on HBC years back that mentioned it. I made a phone call or few and was told the lab is no longer there/offering the test and to simply presume that all Bear have trich and to handle/cook the meat accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Why would anyone knowingly eat worms?? There is only one thing to do with a bear!!!
    If you eat meat, you eat worms. Hopefully dead ones. Mmmmmmmm
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    The best way would be to stop eating filthy animals such as a bear
    Better stop eating pork ( trich)Turkey ( salmonella) as well then ... kidding , just cook it properly

Dog food, if the pooch will even eat it lol.

No clue how you guys can enjoy bear meat knowing it could be infested with worms.

Il stick to a moose deer elk diet

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I cut myself dressing out a bear this spring- still healthy. 20 odd years ago my knife slipped while skinning a yote a buried a good portion of it in my other hand- sweet scar to this day.
    The point in red could be up for debate
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

You should stop shooting bears if you don't do the homework and learn how to process and cook it. Tric is only released when your stomach acids break down the casing around the worm. Cooking kills the dormant worm. It is not in the blood.
    Liver fluke in moose, tric in pigs and a host of things in rabbits.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    You should stop shooting bears if you don't do the homework and learn how to process and cook it. Tric is only released when your stomach acids break down the casing around the worm. Cooking kills the dormant worm. It is not in the blood.
    Liver fluke in moose, tric in pigs and a host of things in rabbits.
    Well, I don't need to know much about trich at all to know to cook my meat property, doesn't really hurt me thinking I could have got it from the blood, if anything it just made me be more careful lol

Worms or otherwise I'll never stop shooting bears, they are delicious, if I got one that was sub par is grind it all up and cook it / feed it to my dogs. Nothing goes to waste here.