Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Re: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Dog food, if the pooch will even eat it lol.

No clue how you guys can enjoy bear meat knowing it could be infested with worms.

Il stick to a moose deer elk diet
    I've shot many moose with Fluke Worms in the legs, if you're paranoid about worms and other things you better quit hunting and stick to the grocery store stuff pumped full of hormones, antibiotics and who knows what else to kill all the nasty stuff at who knows what expense to those eating it...

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I read something, I think from meateater saying the temp that kills trich is actually 130 but the USDA played it safe and said 160...
    If I recall correctly, I believe the temperature is also dependent on cooking time? Think it all comes down to internal temps but higher temps for shorter times or lower temps longer will both work, I think I have seen a chart somewhere showing this at one time, for the times at which temps. I think 130 will kill it when held for longer time, and I think 150 was where it was killed instantly or something along those lines.
    Last edited by russm86; 06-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.

not sure if i have ever shot a moose witjout cyst.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Cuts and wounds can get you Brucellosis from near everything, Elk moose deer etc contact with blood and organs
    https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/exposure/hunters.html
    I've started getting into the habit of wearing latex/nitrile gloves underneath a pair of cut-proof/cut-resistant gloves. Partly due to possible infections etc and partly because a bad cut a long ways in the bush can be a problem. For how sharp our hunting and filleting knives are, I stick with a cut resistance rating of level 4 or 5.
    Last edited by russm86; 06-21-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    I've started getting into the habit of wearing latex/nitrile gloves underneath a pair of cut-proof/cut-resistant gloves. Partly due to possible infections etc and partly because a bad cut a long ways in the bush can be a problem. For how sharp our hunting and filleting knives are, I stick with a cut resistance rating of level 4 or 5.
    I wear them simply to keep the meat i'm processing clean from my dirty hands.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    If positive, would you throw the meat out?
    The other side to that is, if it came back negative, would you eat it rare-medium rare?

I play with fire often when I cook bear meat for myself. It's for other people, I'll always make sure it's properly cooked.

I have a question. If I bring my bear meat to a butcher do I have to worry about trichinosis in pepperoni or salami? Im wondering if the process of making this will kill trichinosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenmk View Post
    I have a question. If I bring my bear meat to a butcher do I have to worry about trichinosis in pepperoni or salami? Im wondering if the process of making this will kill trichinosis.
    No its cooked.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

smokies, pepperoni and salami are all hot smoked so no worries at all!