Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Re: trichinosis laboratory analysis

Definitely can't get trichinosis from a cut.

The only reason bear meat should be tested is if it is accidentally consumed raw or under cooked.

Definitely no point testing it just to find out if the meat has it. 15-20% of bears in southern BC have it and as many as 80% up north.

So the test comes back positive which indicates you need to cook it through? Newsflash, trichinella is just one of dozens of reasons bear must be cooked properly. It's not like it's safe to eat a medium rare bear steak just because it tested negative for one of many parasites.

Absolutely no point in testing meat unless it was accidentally eaten raw or undercooked.

There was an FB post a year or two ago where a toddler got into the fridge and started chowing down on raw bear meat (savage!) ... the hospital sent it off for testing. That is one case where testing meat makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Why would anyone knowingly eat worms?? There is only one thing to do with a bear!!!
    some one referred to the white worms (filarial worms not trich) as spirit worms ....heheheheh

reading the next link may scare you away from meat completely...heheheheh

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery...etymanual1.pdf

not just bears by the way...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVLiDlzlac

Just so you fellas know Trich has been just about eradicated in all large scale domestically raised pork .Now for small farm raised hogs that are slop fed Hmmmm I'd think about that !
    Arctic Lake

I have cut myself a couple times when dressing a bear. Buddy told me that if that gives you trichinosis than everyone would have it lol.

I wouldn't throw it out. I assume they all have trichinosis and I cook the meat to 160. I'll feed it to my son as long as it's cooked to 160.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I have cut myself a couple times when dressing a bear. Buddy told me that if that gives you trichinosis than everyone would have it lol.

I wouldn't throw it out. I assume they all have trichinosis and I cook the meat to 160. I'll feed it to my son as long as it's cooked to 160.
    LOL your buddy is 100% correct.

And your assessment is on point as well. Assume they have trichinosis, cook to temperature and enjoy.

not sure if i have ever procccessed a bear without cutting myself..lol not kidding they are alot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    not sure if i have ever procccessed a bear without cutting myself..lol not kidding they are alot of work.
    It's the damn fat ! I've only managed to cut myself on bears but so far it's been 4/4 of them. Glad I'm safe from trich hahah

people turn their nose up at bear because of parasites but make satisfied groans as they gobble halibut or salmon...guess what.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    people turn their nose up at bear because of parasites but make satisfied groans as they gobble halibut or salmon...guess what.
    Very true, I opened up a fish two years ago and the body cavity was a squirming mess of brown worms.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I read something, I think from meateater saying the temp that kills trich is actually 130 but the USDA played it safe and said 160...

I love ground bear meat but wouldn't eat it rare..or costco ground beef or chicken..starting to eat my pork a bit pink with a bit of lime though....mmmmm.. I think people blow the trich bear thing out of proportion..its no big deal..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA