Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: trichinosis laboratory analysis

trichinosis laboratory analysis

Has anyone on here had their bear meat or blood analyzed for trichinosis? If so, can you provide some info about where, how much and the process?

Cheers
    r.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: trichinosis laboratory analysis

I thought i've heard of a place in abbotsford that does it but I'm not 100% sure. I wouldn't even worry about it ( i don't ) just practice basic food safe and cook to 160°
    Last edited by r106; 06-09-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Are you particularly worried about a bear you tagged?
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

If positive, would you throw the meat out?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    If positive, would you throw the meat out?
    That's a really good question.. I'd be on the fence, but let's be honest if I'm going to get it, it'll be when I dress or butcher the bear as without fail I cut myself each time lol

I’d assume a bear has trichinosis before hunting for it. You have to cook them all the same anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    That's a really good question.. I'd be on the fence, but let's be honest if I'm going to get it, it'll be when I dress or butcher the bear as without fail I cut myself each time lol
    I don't see the point in throwing it out. Even if the bear doesn't have tric, it probably has something else. They are scavengers, just go 160, or 170 for good measure and let 'er buck.

Also, as I understand it you wouldn't get tric from getting bear blood or meat in a cut. To get trichinosis you have to ingest a decent amount of the larvae which sit dormant in the meat of the bear in calcified cysts. That is until something ingests it and the stomach acids of that something dissolves the cysts letting the little dudes free. Even so, tric sounds pretty mild to me, in a game of would you rather I would take trichinosis over a fair number of other diseases.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
    I don't see the point in throwing it out. Even if the bear doesn't have tric, it probably has something else. They are scavengers, just go 160, or 170 for good measure and let 'er buck.

Also, as I understand it you wouldn't get tric from getting bear blood or meat in a cut. To get trichinosis you have to ingest a decent amount of the larvae which sit dormant in the meat of the bear in calcified cysts. That is until something ingests it and the stomach acids of that something dissolves the cysts letting the little dudes free. Even so, tric sounds pretty mild to me, in a game of would you rather I would take trichinosis over a fair number of other diseases.
    I cut myself dressing out a bear this spring- still healthy. 20 odd years ago my knife slipped while skinning a yote a buried a good portion of it in my other hand- sweet scar to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I’d assume a bear has trichinosis before hunting for it. You have to cook them all the same anyway.
    This!!! Cook well, quit worrying, and enjoy the meat. I feed bear to my young son without concern.

The best way would be to stop eating filthy animals such as a bear