Thread: wound channel diameter

wound channel diameter

Here's a question, lets say you are shooting a 140 grain ttsx 7mm and getting complete pass thrus on game what would be the advantage to going to a larger bullet of the same diameter and brand(ttsx)? Would they kill any better? Or is the wound channel the same size from a 140 ttsx and a 160 grain ttsx if they both pass thru. Im not asking about ballistic coefficient and down range flight just thinking just wound channel. I also realize a heavier bullet will penetrate further but if they both go thru is there any advantage one way or another?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wound channel diameter

No advantage to the heavier bullet in that case. You may get less dramatic kills with the heavier bullet too, as there may be less expansion due to less velocity.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Both bullets are the same diameter (7mm), so the main variable will be the expansion. TTSX seem to expand best at speed, so pushing them faster might help with expansion, as well aiming for a shoulder might also help them to blow open. I use 150 TSX in 7RM and they have gone thru on all the game animals I've hit with them. Small entry wound, 2"-4" exit. Not dramatic, but dependable.
    If you want more wound channel consider a softer bullet like an accubond or partition.
    Read the "ballistic studies" website. Tons of awesome info on there about terminal ballistics and bullet performance.

I wasnt looking for more of a wound channel just thinking about the balance between speed and penetration.I just thought I would throw it out and get some opinions. I load a 120 ttsx in my sons 7 08 and was impressed with the performance ,I am fine tuning a 140 grain ttsx load for my 280 Ackley and was thinking about maybe going to a 150 or 160 grain load but have no reason to do so. I used 162 grain Hornady bullets for years with good results and also 150 partitions out of a 280 rem. Just too many options and time to think about it I guess.They will all work just fine

Barnes bullets preform best at speed and they recommend going for caliber.