Thread: Bighorn sheep movement?

Bighorn sheep movement?

Hello I am looking for some info on how far bighorn sheep will move from there winter grounds in the summer? I have looked online and can’t find much info on it at all. I have went scouting twice now this spring and have found lots of ewes and 2 legal rams in (Alberta) So I am curious if some more experienced sheep hunters know how far they will be when it comes close to the season opener? Also would they still be in there wintering grounds in May/June?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bighorn sheep movement?

I’m sure there are guys who have hunted areas enough to roughly figure out where sheep tend to hang out during summer/fall, but let’s be honest.......who in their right mind would give up that info??

Yes I do agree with that. And I am not asking for any spots. Just a general idea on how far a bighorn sheep with travel within seasons

It all depends on the herd and the sheep. Some dont move at all from winter to summer, depending on the amount of snow. Some may go a few kms while others can go quite far.

I remember hearing from a bio during a presentation. they collared a ewe hoping to find where their migration route was from winter to summer. Put a collar on her in the early spring and then in late summer went to find her and could not. Went back to the winter range and they found her. They were disappointed thinking it was a wasted year so they popped the collar off her by remote control. When they looked at the data, the ewew actually went up to summer range and back to winter twice in that time frame. I cant remember how far it was but the first time it took her like 3 days to get to summer and the next time it only took a day. This was a herd that does not get that much snow high up.

Same with mule deer. Talked to the bio about some bucks they had collars on. All were collared pretty much in the same area. One buck went from the valley bottom to the top of the mountain (maybe a few km). Another did not gain elevation but went a few kms east of where he was collared. Another went up and over the mountain of the first buck, down a valley about 10km then up and over another mountain. I guess is where they were shown to summer.

If you are seeing them now my guess is they wont be there come the fall. My only be up and over the hill, or down in the timber. Or 10 valleys from there. Gotta love sheep hunting

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Movement when and where, and how fast likely also determined by preds such as cats moving thru and pushing them around.

Not so much. Sheep are generally pretty localized when it comes to home territory, a pred moving through may push them to safe terrain but not off the mountain

Seasonal migrations can be from one elevation to another, or from one mountain range to another, for both ewes and rams
    You will most likely loose sight of the ewes for a couple of weeks while lambing, then they will move off to summer range
    In the fall guys can wait all hunting season hoping a ram will move to winter range and it doesn't happen
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

In the Elk Valley the migration from no-hunting coal tenure to open hunting area is critical to the success of most. Set up a coffee stand might not be a bad idea come later in the season....