Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to upgrade my spotter?

Re: Looking to upgrade my spotter?

I have the same Pentax spotter as decker9. It has been on many mountain hunts with me. I'm super happy with it. Price point, weight/compactness and quality is very good IMO. Japanese manufactured. Lots of good options out there though.

I’d be looking at kowa. Maybe the 66mm, and get the wide angle as well as the variable eyepiece. A 30x wide angle eyepiece is so much nicer to look through for extended periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    I’d be looking at kowa. Maybe the 66mm, and get the wide angle as well as the variable eyepiece. A 30x wide angle eyepiece is so much nicer to look through for extended periods.
    A kowa with eyepiece for $1000? Which one? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by weed782 View Post
    I have the same Pentax spotter as decker9. It has been on many mountain hunts with me. I'm super happy with it. Price point, weight/compactness and quality is very good IMO. Japanese manufactured. Lots of good options out there though.
    I’ve been told that one reason the PENTAX outperforms it’s price point is due to its ability to use astronomical eyepieces. The downfall of a lot of scopes isn’t the glass used but in the dinky little eyepiece. I would agree with decker9 and weed782, the PENTAX is worth a good hard look given your parameters m.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    A kowa with eyepiece for $1000? Which one? Where?
    Forgot about budget, my bad. It’s probably because I can’t seem to save up for a
    The Pentax May be one of the better choices. The eye relief on my vanguard isn’t the greatest. At max zoom my eyeball pretty much has to touch the lense.

Pentax here as well.I have the zoom and a XW fixed 14 excellent.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess