Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear down!

Spring Bear down!

Last edited by bacon_overlord; 06-04-2019 at 07:43 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Bear down!

The first two worked. The third one says it needed permission.

Looking forward to the story

Went out last Thursday evening around 5:30, got to my usual hunting area around 6. I only have a 2WD truck, and after getting stuck in mudholes 3x while hunting brought my mountain bike and parked and rode/hiked along the roads. Its been better than shovelling. The Tuesday evening previous I had seen a super fresh scat at the top end of a drainage, so I took a spir that got me in below it. Cruised and glassed, until finally spotted a bear grazing at the back of a cut block. I set the bike down gently, checked the wind with a lighter and the bear was upwind, perfect. glassed for a few to check it's not got hidden cubs, all clear. Chamber a round, put in earplugs, and go to sit in a stump for a rest. Slide off the stump by accident and find, I'm in about a perfect a seated shooting position as I could ask for. Find the bear in the scope, he's about 150-200yards away, aaaaand goes behind a tree. Deep breaths, I tell myself wind is good, wait for a good shot, it will come, be patient and settle. Bear comes out from behind the tree and sets up un a nice broadside. Settle the crosshairs on the chest, breathe out, squeeze, BOOM! Shot felt good, but I can't see bear, just hear scrambling, which soon fades out. Force myself to stay sitting, wait, find my brass, twiddle thumbs, glass the area. I think I could see a black shape at the base of a tree nearby, but not sure if it's a burnt tree or dead bear. Make my way cautiously over, and giddyup, its a nice downed boar.
    Shot went thru both lungs and pulped the heart into mush. Can't say enough about the 150gr TSX.
    Took a couple pics and text the wife I'll be home late. Rip back to the truck on the bike (possibly the most fun ride I've ever done) bring the truck in, and start the real work. Got it dressed, skinned, quartered, and hiked out in 3 trips, tripping at least 3 times each trip, especially the last one in full dark with a headlamp. Took the shot at 7:35, got home 11:30, booked the next day off work and boned it all out and cubed most for the grinder. 140lb boned out! Going to give the Cabelas grinder quite the workout next week.
    And hams are in brine already, can't wait to smoke them. Good luck to all who haven't connected yet!
    Last edited by bacon_overlord; 06-04-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    The first two worked. The third one says it needed permission.

Looking forward to the story
    Thanks, got it fixed

Good stuff! Love those coppers!

Nice bear, should be some tasty burgers!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Congrats, awesome bruin indeed!

Glad the tsx worked great! I have some 140 TSX to try, used to call em "fmj barnes" but am certainly open to trying them out for myself.

That's an awesome story! Love it!! Some suspense in there... good patience, great shot and a happy ending. I laughed about booking the next day off... been there at least once maybe twice.

Glad you got that third picture to work. That's a good one for sure! Congrats!!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-04-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Congrats on the boar!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Great story and congrats on the bear!