Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Re: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Does anyone know what BC's CWD response plan entails if/when the disease is confirmed in the province?
    Post #1 in this thread:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...llance-Program

She is the person running the show, or should I say "stuck with the problem" so far here in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Likely nothing.

Newly released CWD response plan. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/en...9_approved.pdf

You will see some announcements re the east Kootenays before too long. More freezers are required to handle an increased effort on collecting heads for testing — you can get in touch with Cait or the BCWF office if you can help with securing freezers.

Is the BCWF looking for freezers?

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Is the BCWF looking for freezers?
    The BCWF is helping coordinate getting freezers to the east Kootenays. Ten plus will be needed.

CWD Found West of the Continental Divide in Montana: (more cases showing up so only a matter of time if not already here?):

https://wildlifemanagement.institute...divide-montana

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Newly released CWD response plan. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/en...9_approved.pdf

You will see some announcements re the east Kootenays before too long. More freezers are required to handle an increased effort on collecting heads for testing — you can get in touch with Cait or the BCWF office if you can help with securing freezers.

Thank you.

One potential control measure that I did not see in the document is a pre-emptive population density reduction in areas adjacent to known CWD endemic areas.

I would suggest considering a unlimited open season on Whitetails from Creston to Alberta starting right now. Don't wait until CWD is identified in the province. At that point, it is too late.

The only management practice that has had an effective result in reducing both the infection and dispersal rate of CWD is to keep populations densities low.
    The lower the better if a desire to keep CWD from infecting new populations is truly desired.

Yes, this sucks, but the alternative is worse.

On the bright side, all the wolves will starve.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    The BCWF is helping coordinate getting freezers to the east Kootenays. Ten plus will be needed.
    I have one here they can have, works good...pick up in vernon or in salmon arm if that works. pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm last year I harvested a deer in eastern Alberta..I had plenty of time to look the deer over..he walked well, normal.he looked healthy and even on field dressing and later processed it for transport home.
    Only many weeks later did I get a phone call that my deer tested positive for CWD.
    The deer carcass was confiscated and destroyed.
    Had it not been for mandatory testing..I would have processed and consumed this animal..as it looked and acted normal and exibited no signs of CWD.
    Thats scary. ...imo
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to me. The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

I personally can't think of a single animal in my whole hunting career that I shot for food and hadn't subsequently started eating shortly after harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to me. The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

I personally can't think of a single animal in my whole hunting career that I shot for food and hadn't subsequently started eating shortly after harvest.

Hunting potentially CWD infected animals has added a new element to the process.

Quite simply, you don't eat any of the animal until the testing has been completed and confirms that the animal is CWD free.
    This can be quite frustrating when the test results may take months....

In Alberta, hunters are learning to exert the very least effort when preserving their harvest until testing is done.
    Putting whole quarters into the freezer.... no point in butchering, making burger and especially sausage until you know the animal is not infected.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Not to derail, but can you please explain this post to meit The way it reads is this....You unknowingly shot, processed, and hauled an infected animal home. Then several weeks later you find out it was infected, so you're thankful that you never processed or consumed any of it.

Hmmm yes...I was drawn for late trophy mule deer hunt after 7 years priority points.
    It was known ? Or assumed these eastern units held higher probibilities of CWD..so It was a requirement to submit part of the brainstem for mandatory testing.no animals brains or spinal column were allowed to be transported back to BC.
    So the animal was cut up, bagged in 4mm vacutainer bags, and clearly marked.
    We then waited for the brain biopsy report .it was positive..and animal was picked up from our residence within 24 hrs of notification.
    One other gentleman from this site was 75 miles away his deer tested positive for CWD ALSO.
    Srupp