Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Re: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Focus is, or was on CWD but you can't help but take shots at Ourea from the cheap seats. He keeps providing accurate info but all you seem to want to do is derail.
    Folks like Horshur, their only default is to snipe, complain, attack.
    His brother Dana, a once respected member of HBC, has been banned from every hunting site he has joined because he assaults anyone that disagrees with his self perceived superiority.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

No disrespect taken.
    I understand the frustration.
    This should be a site where we tell stories and share info etc, especially for newbs who want to get into hunting.

Like I have said.
    I enjoy the thread on your WT experiences.
    That's your personal time that you put a lot of time and effort into and like I have said, many would never take the time or want to share that info
    to the rest of us.
    So I appreciate it.

As for CWD, it is scary to think it is getting close to BC and lets face it, only a matter of time.
    Can baiting sites congregate game and if a infected animal is in the mix, help spread the disease quicker, sure it can.
    But agree, there are winter feeding programs as well that in my opinion, have way more animals congregating in large numbers that could make
    transmission even worse.

But the truth is, diseases like this, without a cure will happen regardless of what we do to prevent it.
    Yes, we can take steps to make sure element such as urine products etc from elsewhere, where the disease already exist and stop it's sale in BC.
    But again, there will be some who smuggle it in.

As for how we hunt or what we hunt, and that whole debate, to me is BS.
    As far as I am concerned, if BC Wildlife was in good shape, with plenty of game to go around, no one would bitch about the guy beside him.

But we are not in good shape, and thus finger pointing is the norm.

I just want folks to recognize that some things are beyond our control.
    But we have let some things, like wildlife management, which should have been in our control, slip out of our hands, and we have lost "total control".

That's the shame and lack of organization we as hunters are stuck in now, and to a large degree, it's our own fault.
    Each everyone one of us, regardless of what side of the fence we sit on depending on what issue is at the fore front.
    CWD is one of those things we cant control right now.
    Only be aware of.

CWD......
    When you talk to wildlife officials their biggest concern is the transportation of infected wildlife.
    Segments of the outdoor community have, and will continue, to transport infected wildlife with impunity.
    I respect their rights.
    I do not respect their negative impact justified by said rights that have a negative impact on wildlife

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I don't bother to post here anymore simply because ego's and wild imaginations run all over facts and reason. Just check out the "Dease Teens" thread. WOW!!

But for the guys like bownut who pedal uninformed BS and mostly for those that may believe it, do some real research. Don't just read sensationalized headlines and "sky is falling" rhetoric. CWD was first discovered and maybe originated in Colorado over FIFTY years ago. Deer there have not been wiped out and few hunters even pay attention anymore.

CWD has been found elsewhere in the last few years because they only started testing in these places the last few years. Before testing it "didn't exist" there. Oh and some of those states and counties didn't then and don't now allow baiting.

The anti hunting orgs have seized onto the CWD bandwagon to help shut down "sport" hunting. Can't eat the meat, so it's simply killing for fun.

If the prions live in the ground and plants "forever" how does it help to wipe out a herd when they will simply repopulate and start the cycle again. Or do we just kill all ungulates to save them from themselves.

By having mass culls of deer in suspected areas you may well be killing off deer that have survived CWD and are developing resistance to the disease (which can be passed down), as in a "natural cure". It's often nature's way of righting an imbalance.

People are always in a hurry to ban something, anything that they don't or can't do themselves. It's the "If it saves just one life" excuse.

I won't be responding to defend my points, so don't bother calling me out, just go do some real fact finding or just wait for those that do to inform you.

PS: reading a lot of the posts on HBC has become more like standing at the grocery counter and reading the headlines from the trash mags. Some way out there crap being passed off as deeper thinking.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^All good point, imo.

Truth is with baiting plots is, one just has to look at Alberta.
    It is one big feed plot.
    Go there over the winter and in one field alone you can see over 50 WT and 20 MD feeding together.
    So really. what does it matter.
    Do we think we are going to ban Agriculture???
    And yes, what good is a cull if deer will just get it again, being in the soil.

What Ourea does show is how useless may of the discussions are.
    Truth is, "we have no money" for so many issues plaguing our wildlie, the habitat and the future of hunting.
    I see so many discussions on we should do this or be doing that.
    Question still stands..."with what"!!!????

First step is funding.
    Without it how can anything of benefit be implemented properly.
    Every game club and society and outdoorsman need to get that to the forefront and to be the "only objective" to pursue first with the government.
    If we can get that and 100% of it put into Enhancement etc projects, then it might be of some worth to debate over what should or shouldn't be done.

But I agree, much of what is discussed is just bar room banter.
    Anyways, I am out to, unless someone takes a poke at me...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Folks like Horshur, their only default is to snipe, complain, attack.
    His brother Dana, a once respected member of HBC, has been banned from every hunting site he has joined because he assaults anyone that disagrees with his self perceived superiority.
    Pot calling the kettle black, you want might to look at your own over reactions when someone disagrees with you.
    Last edited by Deaddog; 08-10-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Good point on the lack of funding for CWD monitoring and research. Saskatchewan has funding for monitoring CWD spread, amounting to a very small fraction of the number of deer harvested.

The CWD test is not a food safety test, since it cannot ensure the animal is not in the early stages of infection, not yet detectable. You will find this information on the Health Canada site.
    Even if you accept that the test is as good as it gets, few take advantage of the free testing offered. If more people did take advantage of testing, the lab capacity would soon be overwhelmed.

Given that CWD is widespread in Saskatchewan, we are inadvertently doing a huge public health experiment by having many tens of thousands of untested deer consumed by people.

Lack of funding makes it clear that, with the current research on the potential for transmissibility of CWD, Provincial and Federal governments do not yet take the emergence of CWD seriously.

No need to be alarmed Bugle, side discussions with a bit of heat are essential marketing ploys.
    Since I bumped up your thread, viewer count has tripled.
    That's a good thing.
    If it gets locked, a new one can be started. That's really not a big or even a little deal.

Or, as I queried, the thread will be moved to the Recipe or Gear forum, like Mods are doing with other heated threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post

I don't bother to post here anymore simply because ego's and wild imaginations run all over facts and reason.

Just check out the "Dease Teens" thread. WOW!!

But for the guys like bownut who pedal uninformed BS and mostly for those that may believe it, do some real research. Don't just read sensationalized headlines and "sky is falling" rhetoric. CWD was first discovered and maybe originated in Colorado over FIFTY years ago. Deer there have not been wiped out and few hunters even pay attention anymore.

CWD has been found elsewhere in the last few years because they only started testing in these places the last few years. Before testing it "didn't exist" there. Oh and some of those states and counties didn't then and don't now allow baiting.

The anti hunting orgs have seized onto the CWD bandwagon to help shut down "sport" hunting. Can't eat the meat, so it's simply killing for fun.

If the prions live in the ground and plants "forever" how does it help to wipe out a herd when they will simply repopulate and start the cycle again. Or do we just kill all ungulates to save them from themselves.

By having mass culls of deer in suspected areas you may well be killing off deer that have survived CWD and are developing resistance to the disease (which can be passed down), as in a "natural cure". It's often nature's way of righting an imbalance.

People are always in a hurry to ban something, anything that they don't or can't do themselves. It's the "If it saves just one life" excuse.

I won't be responding to defend my points, so don't bother calling me out, just go do some real fact finding or just wait for those that do to inform you.

PS: reading a lot of the posts on HBC has become more like standing at the grocery counter and reading the headlines from the trash mags. Some way out there crap being passed off as deeper thinking.

You were obviously speaking about yourself.

Love your posts elsewhere. I must admit this post took me by surprise, never took you for one to spread so much manure.