Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Re: CWD reported within 50 km of the BC border

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Funny how this works, I posted CWD information and how it as on its way to BC and everyone shit kicked me. Now after a long time out, it all of a sudden is a topic of interest.
    So good to be back..........
    no, you posted your annual personal rant against baiting...

funny though, Montana already doesn't allow baiting, according to your logic their bait ban should've prevented CWD from spreading...what failed?
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Nothing can stop CWD from spreading, but concentrating deer populations can certainly accelerate the spread of CWD.

Funny how this works, I posted CWD information and how it as on its way to BC and everyone shit kicked me. Now after a long time out, it all of a sudden is a topic of interest.
    I was hoping to keep people informed (myself included) on what is happening and where.
    The fact that right now there isn't a cure for it.
    And to not get into a "bashing" over "hunting practices".
    Hopefully it stays that way so that many can get informed and "be aware"!
    And only that please.

You are asking a midget to be tall

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    Nothing can stop CWD from spreading, but concentrating deer populations can certainly accelerate the spread of CWD.
    Focus on the minutiae while this goes on.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

You bash baiting stating they are pred pits and a key driver for CWD.....which there is zero data to support.
    Most states have a ban on baiting where CWD is prevalent......hmmmmm.
    Heck of an argument there.

You remind me of David Hogg and Alisa Mayo.
    They show up at NRA protests yet sport an armed security force while they preach against guns.
    You preach about baiting and it should be abolished WHILE YOU SUPPORT WINTER FEEDING STATIONS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Focus on the minutiae while this goes on.

I could careless on ethics of baiting and no a bait ban won’t stop the spread. Yes there are many examples of agriculture congregating ungulates but baiting does increase the number of areas ungulates feed in close proximity. I am not one who is going to push for a bait ban but the argument for baiting when CWD is a factor is pretty weak. Baiting may not be a make or break factor in the spread of CWD but it’s definitely not a positive

One thing is for sure if you and bownut put your effort into gaining support for programs/research that were searching for a cure for CWD it would be a hell of a lot more productive than the on going pissing match for and against baiting
    Last edited by Wild one; 08-07-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I could careless on ethics of baiting and no a bait ban won’t stop the spread. Yes there are many examples of agriculture congregating ungulates but baiting does increase the number of areas ungulates feed in close proximity. I am not one who is going to push for a bait ban but the argument for baiting when CWD is a factor is pretty weak. Baiting may not be a make or break factor in the spread of CWD but it’s definitely a positive

One thing is for sure if you and bownut put your effort into gaining support for programs/research that were searching for a cure for CWD it would be a hell of a lot more productive than the on going pissing match for and against baiting
    Well, I have talked to numerous parties in wildlife management face to face about the subject ....on what are the barriers, what helps resistance.
    With the agricultural practices that draw and concentrate animals from vast areas where they redistribute from is near the top of the list
    (kinda like being in an international airport during a flu outbreak)

My understanding is that geographic obstacles and resulting herd isolation is one of the biggest safety nets against CWD transmission.
    BC has that in it's favor and why the disease will have a little harder time getting thru the door.

My fear is northern BC.....too much like other farm belts where the disease can thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Well, I have talked to numerous parties in wildlife management face to face about the subject ....on what are the barriers, what helps resistance.
    With the agricultural practices that draw and concentrate animals from vast areas where they redistribute from is near the top of the list
    (kinda like being in an international airport during a flu outbreak)

My understanding is that geographic obstacles and resulting herd isolation is one of the biggest safety nets against CWD transmission.
    BC has that in it's favor and why the disease will have a little harder time getting thru the door.

My fear is northern BC.....too much like other farm belts where the disease can thrive.
    I would agree but I don’t think BC’s geographic obstacles and herd isolation will do any more than slow the spread of CWD at best. But as we both know just like elk and WT have expanded their range CWD is just as capable of spreading

As for northern BC a lot of areas are actually lower density than southern BC with the exception of the Peace. I don’t see much holding back CWD in most of 8,3,and 4.

Regardless CWD will spread without a cure even if it’s at a slower pace once it reaches BC

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I would agree but I don’t think BC’s geographic obstacles and herd isolation will do any more than slow the spread of CWD at best. But as we both know just like elk and WT have expanded their range CWD is just as capable of spreading

As for northern BC a lot of areas are actually lower density than southern BC with the exception of the Peace. I don’t see much holding back CWD in most of 8,3,and 4.

Regardless CWD will spread without a cure even if it’s at a slower pace once it reaches BC
    So let's regulate!!!!!!!