Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would someone buy a trapline?

Hybrid View

Why would someone buy a trapline?

Let me start by saying I have absolutely no desire to get into trapping or purchasing a trapline. Also - clearly - no experience on the subject.

That said: I came across a few "trapline for sale" ads recently where traplines are being sold for 13K and more. The question I am asking: Why would someone - nowadays - purchase one of those? Nostalgia? Seems like expensive nostalgia....

As I understand it, you only buy the rights to trap. From some 10min googling, I see you have to uphold a min quota (I read 50 pelts/year), which seems "steep"?) or the gov can take it away. Obviously, you have to have a trapping license, etc.

Also, it appears that you need a lot of pelts to just cover 13K worth of cost

So, I can't see anyone being in it for the money (unless I am missing anything?). So what would be the point?

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why would someone buy a trapline?

50 pelts is not hard to accomplish( 50 pelts would be a really bad season for many trappers) at all over a trapping season. Have not been watching fur prices lately but yes you can make $ but not a living

Think of trapping as a hobby/small business if you’re smart you can make some extra $ and have fun doing it

As for traplines a guy really needs to do research before putting up $ and prices are all over the map

Interesting...

The advantage of buying an established trap line is just that. Miles of trails are cut, sets are made, possibly overnight cabins, some history of game taken. There could be years of work done.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The advantage of buying an established trap line is just that. Miles of trails are cut, sets are made, possibly overnight cabins, some history of game taken. There could be years of work done.
    Is that how traps lines are valued or does the price rely on the number of pelts/economics it produces? I guess you wouldn't put all that effort in to trails, structures etc if it was not productive. Just curious as I have seen a wide range of prices.
    Last edited by Beachcomber; 06-04-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Yes that's how trap lines are valued; equipment and facilities included along with potential annual fur value production.

Just don’t think it’s easy because it’s far from it. Hide prep is huge and involves skill to get top value out of a hide. When it comes to the trapping it’s a lot more complicated than bait and traps. It’s a combination of physical and mental to do well in my opinion

Trapping gives you a whole new outlook on the bush and animal movement for sure

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ as well "consider it a small business", if you’re smart you can write off expenses and make some extra $ while have fun doing it.
    Last edited by tomcat; 06-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Some have pretty sweet cabins on them... so you buy the trap line and suddenly you own your own cabin.

And they pretty much have to give you the guys to any gates anywhere

Seems like a fun hobby / small business for anybody who enjoys the outdoors... particularly in the winter.

And you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you are helping reduce any overpopulation of predators in your areas, thus helping the ungulates.

Although I inherited my trapline, it’s a pure hobby/lifestyle, it’s not something a person buys with the expectations of getting rich. A lot of people buy lines just for the retreat, build a cabin, on a nice fishing lake, it’s an easy process to apply to build, and probably a lot cheaper then buying land.

My line is small, after paying for my fuel, I generally break about even. It’s not much different then buying a guiding area, except outfitters can make their own prices.

On that note, even tho my line would be worth $15’000 tops, I don’t think I’d sell it for 10x that. If for whatever reason, I wouldn’t have inherited my line, after growing up trapping with my grandad and dad, buying a line would have been a must at some point in my life.