Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would someone buy a trapline?

Re: Why would someone buy a trapline?

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Let me start by saying I have absolutely no desire to get into trapping or purchasing a trapline. Also - clearly - no experience on the subject.

That said: I came across a few "trapline for sale" ads recently where traplines are being sold for 13K and more. The question I am asking: Why would someone - nowadays - purchase one of those? Nostalgia? Seems like expensive nostalgia....

As I understand it, you only buy the rights to trap. From some 10min googling, I see you have to uphold a min quota (I read 50 pelts/year), which seems "steep"?) or the gov can take it away. Obviously, you have to have a trapping license, etc.

Also, it appears that you need a lot of pelts to just cover 13K worth of cost

So, I can't see anyone being in it for the money (unless I am missing anything?). So what would be the point?

Thoughts?
    Judging by your handle im guessing you are trolling!

It's an escape I think and you can have a cabin. Down here in the civilization I don't know that it's a good way to make money but it's a good way to get away and make some money at the same time.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I can think of many reasons to buy a trapline but only 2 not to own one. I'm pretty fortunate that I'm partner on trapline right here at home.

Does a trap-line give you the right to carry a handgun? My Granpa always carried one in Ontario when he trapped from 1940 to 1975. That alone might make it worthwhile for some.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Does a trap-line give you the right to carry a handgun? My Granpa always carried one in Ontario when he trapped from 1940 to 1975. That alone might make it worthwhile for some.
    You can apply for a permit if you have a trapline but it does not give you instant approval

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    Looked into this a few years back, answer i got was, You have to make your living trapping, in other words it can't just be a hobby, approval process is lengthy and not always favorable outcome.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The advantage of buying an established trap line is just that. Miles of trails are cut, sets are made, possibly overnight cabins, some history of game taken. There could be years of work done.
    Is that how traps lines are valued or does the price rely on the number of pelts/economics it produces? I guess you wouldn't put all that effort in to trails, structures etc if it was not productive. Just curious as I have seen a wide range of prices.
    Last edited by Beachcomber; 06-04-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Yes that's how trap lines are valued; equipment and facilities included along with potential annual fur value production.

I know some buy them just to have a legal cabin to hunt out of.

interesting. How much are trappers getting for the furs these days, anyways?

Can't really remember the last time i've seen someone wearing real fur. I know they still make expensive coats and what not, just not sure who wears them and where as i've never seen people wear it other than the Innuit.