Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

Re: Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I’d be taking the pup. No better training getting your pup use to animals then stalking bears (and any other critters). By law I believe dogs need to be on leash maybe? But even if so, don’t let taking a dog detour you, a well trained dog makes an amazing hunting companion. If you stalk in for a kill, have your gf keep your pup on leash is it turns out to be a handful.

Good luck!
    I believe dogs only have to be on a leash when hunting ungulates...

Used to bring my dog along once in a while , did all my shooting with him in the truck with the windows closed. He still wanted to go with me but when I was hunting he stayed home. Shot a bear once and took him with me to find it ........lost him , called an called .......and he was back at the truck waiting for me when I got back.........where you been ? did you find your bear ? I saw him ......he was a nice one . I didn't find the bear.
    As for the Wife. We went out a few times . And when I got back from a preamble , she told me that I was gone too long and she had to pee, and something was breathing behind her in the woods and all she wants to know now is where I am going and when i'll be back and have fun.
    works for me.

There are no laws you will break.. the dog is not legally required to be leashed but if your hiking i would. He might run at the bear and spook it..

I cruze with my wife and dog all the time, be glad she wants to go with you.. maybe one day she will arm up and want to hunt too...

No advice on the wife, but my pit Trigger spent a lot of time out hunting with me. Spring bear is a good one for them, short haired dogs don't love cold rainy days.
    To get him settled about guns, I got a buddy to go 50' away and shoot a .22, then worked his way up to us, while we acted relaxed and didn't make a big deal of it.
    Then he worked his way up to us with an SKS.
    Then a 12 gauge.

Trig didn't like the noise, but he didn't run away. One or two shots was no big deal to him, and he understood that a single shot or two usually meant he got treats...venison kidneys, grouse hearts and livers, etc. Worth it for him. He only didn't like getting out of the truck at the shotgun range, I think the amount of noise was overwhelming.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

So you wanna know how it went? (*sigh) Lol, ok here it goes in a nutshell....

We spent the night befor we left packing for the hunt. We got everything we figured we needed together. She even went out and bought a topi book the same day. So ok, were ready as we're gonna be.

About 3am we woke up and 4am we got the dog into the car and headed for a drivethru breakfast on the way out. We arrived at the base of the forest road and found a good place to park then began to head up the mountain.

20 mins in, I hear "you stupid f'n dog, wtf is your problem?"
    I turned around and the dog wasnt doing anything wrong just a bit exited and walking ahead of her by about a foot. I just rolled my eyes and said "chill out, she's a pup" and continued ahead.

50 mins in: she began to complain and pout. "This is stupid, this is to hard, why did you even bring me? My back is soar" etc. She then began dragging her feet and kicking rocks over the side of the road.

Keep in mind that at no point was I aloud to venture off the service road and everytime I turned my back I could here her yell and scream at the top of her lungs, "wtf? Why do you wanna go there? Omfg you stupid dog, stop that!" (Insert poor dog yelping)

Eventually I said "just let me take her" and I honestly had no problem walking the pup at any point.

1.5 hours in: So basically theres me walking up the service road with a puppy on a leash, a pack and a rifle... and about 50 meters back is my wife refusing to even try to keep up and yelling at the top of her lungs, "can we go back now? Aren't you done yet? This is stupid. Why did you bring me? I can go up there!"

2.5 hrs in: wife wanted to stop and look at her map book to see where we were along the road. This is dispite the fact I had a fully charged gps and a phone with full signal telling us exactly where we were down to the meter. She, (unable to read a map in the first place), insisted we were somewhere else then she refused to go any further.

So at that point it was time to go. I hated to say it but I just couldn't handle her behavior any longer.

Moral of the story,
    Dog = Good hunting partner
    Wife = NFW!!! NEVER EEEEVER AGAIN!!!!

Wish I coulda reported back with better news, but this should be, if nothing else, an entertaining read.
    Fun fact: along the road I grabbed an orange marker off one of the trees and put it on the pups collar so she could be seen from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by LegerSmash View Post

We spent the night befor we left packing for the hunt. We got everything we figured we needed together. She even went out and bought a topi book the same day. So ok, were ready as we're gonna be.

About 3am we woke up and 4am we got the dog into the car and headed for a drivethru breakfast on the way out. We arrived at the base of the forest road and found a good place to park then began to head up the mountain.

I turned around and the dog wasnt doing anything wrong just a bit exited and walking ahead of her by about a foot. I just rolled my eyes and said "chill out, she's a pup" and continued ahead.

50 mins in: she began to complain and pout. "This is stupid, this is to hard, why did you even bring me? My back is soar" etc. She then began dragging her feet and kicking rocks over the side of the road.

Keep in mind that at no point was I aloud to venture off the service road and everytime I turned my back I could here her yell and scream at the top of her lungs, "wtf? Why do you wanna go there? Omfg you stupid dog, stop that!" (Insert poor dog yelping)

Eventually I said "just let me take her" and I honestly had no problem walking the pup at any point.

1.5 hours in: So basically theres me walking up the service road with a puppy on a leash, a pack and a rifle... and about 50 meters back is my wife refusing to even try to keep up and yelling at the top of her lungs, "can we go back now? Aren't you done yet? This is stupid. Why did you bring me? I can go up there!"

2.5 hrs in: wife wanted to stop and look at her map book to see where we were along the road. This is dispite the fact I had a fully charged gps and a phone with full signal telling us exactly where we were down to the meter. She, (unable to read a map in the first place), insisted we were somewhere else then she refused to go any further.

So at that point it was time to go. I hated to say it but I just couldn't handle her behavior any longer.

Moral of the story,

Wish I coulda reported back with better news, but this should be, if nothing else, an entertaining read.
    Fun fact: along the road I grabbed an orange marker off one of the trees and put it on the pups collar so she could be seen from a distance.

Divorce.

Thank me later.

Sounds like you are married to my ex.....

You'll eventually be glad you didn't cancel the trip.

When the lawyer fees start coming in let me know. I'll give ya $50 bucks for the pooch to help you out.

At any point in time did you consider the possibility of a “ hunting accident “?

Im not going to say divorce but ( no offence ) she sounds like a pain in the ass lol. There is hope, she now knows she doesnt like it so as long as she doesnt have FOMO your good to go and just not take her again.

My wife has no interest in coming with me but luckily she has no problem with me going solo or with my hunting partner. She likes going for the odd hike though and thats ok with me. Having some time apart is nice once in awhile.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by LegerSmash View Post

Moral of the story,

Wow, she sounds like a real catch!
    When in doubt, just pin it.