Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

So, I was planning my first daytrip for spring blackbear ... I did my research, got all my maps... crossed referenced the regs got a bunch of new gear and made myself as prepares as im going to be and I was ready to go. Then my wife decided to invite herself despite the fact that shes got no licence and wont be hunting (she's just clingy) so I said ok fine.

Well its 5hrs till im ready to leave, now she decided, "we have to bring the dog, (5 month old pitty pup) I don't want to leave her alone all day".

At this point I'm thinking to myself... doesn't that count as baiting?
    (& that's beside the fact that my trip has prolly no chance of success with a hyper puppy around)

Should I just bail or cancel the trip? Can I even legally have the dog there? Any insights?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is my first hunt ruined? HELP

I’d be taking the pup. No better training getting your pup use to animals then stalking bears (and any other critters). By law I believe dogs need to be on leash maybe? But even if so, don’t let taking a dog detour you, a well trained dog makes an amazing hunting companion. If you stalk in for a kill, have your gf keep your pup on leash is it turns out to be a handful.

Good luck!

Go hunt. Your not baiting. Make sure to get up high and glass. And if you spot a bear leave the wife and pup in the vehicle and make your stalk. Don’t need to have the pup chase it and maybe disappear

Really appreciate the advice. I guess my overthinking is my worst enemy. Its more of a "i dont want em getting hurt, not do I want to explain myself in court to a judge" type of scenario.

Lmao! One of the funniest posts that I have read on here. But to answer your question, you can totally bring your dog. I am no expert on the rules for dogs but I believe they must be leashed if they are out of the truck. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I, personally, wouldn't bring a hyper dog on any hunt though. As for your wife wanting to go, nothing wrong with that. It is better to have a wife interested in what you are doing than one that doesn't and decides to wander while your out all the time with the "bro's." Go out, enjoy the family and relax. It isn't hunting sketchy animals like deer, elk or moose. Just my 2 cents for you.

All good- cruise roads and glass hillsides.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Its not what you think, been together for over 25 years and have 4 kids together. Its not that she's taking an interest, she just wants to supervise.
    That or I really have turned into Al Bundy, just with a better job. Maybe Ill sport the "No-Mamm" shirt.
    Last edited by LegerSmash; 06-01-2019 at 11:01 PM.

sounds like your wife wants some time out...with you..

should be a good day dont forget to stop at the dollar store on your way out of town..

Get out, have fun! Good luck!

Don't worry, the dog won't be considered bait
    Depending on the LEOs p.o.v. though, the wife may be
    especially if you are feeding her pbj's and koolaid out in a cutblock
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole