Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lac du Bois bear. Poor form.

Re: Lac du Bois bear. Poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    well looks loke they dumped it..

they could have picked a better spot and taken the garbage bag...but hey rolling the leftovers out of your truck does not make them a asshat..they probably shot it last light took it home and processed it than ditched it very tired.
    Not taking all the edible parts and dumping it a few metres from a well used road in this political climate does in fact an asshat make

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Maybe the bear was slimy carrying the items when struck by a vehicle then ran and stepped on an old landmine from ww2 causing it to explode.....in all seriousness hunters will get blamed if the media gets a hold of it. I can't tell by the pics but are the paws gone? Might explain who was responsible.
    Nice try. Paws/claws and skull were left.

Some are lazy slobs and there really is no excuse for it. Actions like this are not good for the image of hunters.

If hunters want to continue to do what we enjoy some common sense is needed. I am not going to get into what was not salvaged meat wise because the pic is not enough to go on. The garbage there is no excuse and it’s not hard to find a spur with a ravine to kick it off. Only reason for actions like this is lazy slobs

As for if it’s a hunter hard to be 100% but you know who the public will blame. Also let’s be honest it’s spring bear season and just because you passed your core does not mean you have good ethics

Odds we won’t know who dump this but we should all agree the person who did is not doing hunters any favours and this is not how things should be done

I like the post, good job.. brings attention of what not to do..
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Correct - I have an email from the conservation trust fund that bought some land in the area stating it was cool to hunt there too. Just have to watch the 1km radius around the above mentioned.
    Yes, and if the same one I know of up there, then they don't want you camping or having any fires in the conservation area either and definitely no vehicles but it's all gated so don't know if you could anyways, other than the tractor they take in to hay the 1 field.

COs shot one of them, haven't heard of others yet. Doubt they would dump it like this.

If there were knives left behind, would that mean it is where the bear was "processed" and likely shot in that spot? Seems weird to bring the knives out and dump them along with a the bear. Confusing.

I've never shot a bear where there's vehicle traffic, or any area a non-hunter would likely go. I always leave the carcass (doubt anyone packs out the entire bear unless its by a road) ... I make "some" effort to try and hide it (not so much because I'm worried about non-hunters seeing it... more worried about hunters finding it and wanting to hunt there LOL) but sometimes that just means rolling in into some brush or down into a little dip behind a stump (one time down a hollow stomp) ... and one we dropped in a bunch of thick crap in the timber I didn't feel like any effort was necessary (never seen a foot print there?)

Not sure if that makes me an ass

I suppose it's all about where things go down, how thick/exposed the area is, what kind of traffic it sees. I just wouldn't want to discourage people from bear hunting, thinking that they have make some hitman clean-er-upper effort. My take would be if its not clearly visible from a road or hiking trail, that's just dandy. Even if it's up in a cut 100 yards from a road, it's just going to look like another stump, but tuck it behind some other stump for good measure. That's my take anyway.

My buddy has wrapped his knife up with the carcass twice when we went to dump it. Both times we found his knife when rolling the carcass out of the tarp. I am guessing something like this is possibly why a knife was left there but lots of options really

No you don’t need to play assassin and put major effort to hide a carcass but out of sight of a main road at least. 10-30yard drag is piss all. To me personally in this case I doubt the bear was shot there and likely just where they dumped it. If I am correct they could have drove to a better spot to dump it. Driving a carcass to the bush back up to a ravine on a spur and kick it off no dragging even

Garbage there is no excuse

It’s a matter of having respect for the bush and others who enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    My buddy has wrapped his knife up with the carcass twice when we went to dump it. Both times we found his knife when rolling the carcass out of the tarp. I am guessing something like this is possibly why a knife was left there but lots of options really
    Maybe that's what I did with the knives I lost this season... got them mixed up with the garbage. Unfortunately for me, my garbage ends up where it belongs. Oh well... upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Maybe that's what I did with the knives I lost this season... got them mixed up with the garbage. Unfortunately for me, my garbage ends up where it belongs. Oh well... upgrade!
    I recommend a good custom knife when you own an awesome knife you look after it more

At the min it’s a great excuse to tell the wife lol