Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot weather and Black Bears

Hot weather and Black Bears

It's gotten pretty hot since my last outing for bears, and since I'm still fairly new to tracking them down, can anyone tell me how a hot spring changes their behaviour, if at all?

Best I could find reading on my own was mostly inconclusive, leaning towards no, but I would think a large animal with dark fur would overheat pretty quickly.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hot weather and Black Bears

Seen bears out in the middle of the day +33, they were in the shade side of a pipeline just pigging out on grass. I don’t think it matters that much. Best part of the day for black bears is the last few hours of the day. Had great success on a hot day right before a storm roles in. AC/DC thunder struck on the radio for the win as the storm builds and the big boars are roaming...... right about this time of year.

Was hunting last few days them mid day 26C - 28C and seen plenty of bears. The trick is shady areas with food near water. It is very common for bears to go for a drink mid day. The bears are out there no matter how hot it is you just need to go where they are

Ya what wildone said. Find the shady areas or a creek and hunt around it they will be there just get above it and glass.

last year i think i saw 16 or 17 bears in an afternoon. it was 30+

Bears are concentrated on new food/the first green food early on in the season. Once it heats up and the sun is out the bears will spread out depending on the elevation because food sources spread out. They are still eating their hearts out, just gotta find good poop, bears wont be far away. They will move slightly more towards water and morning/evening if its suuuuuper hot but bears are lazy, they arent sunrise sunset critters, they dont have to worry about predators looking for them as prey. Every where is a bit different based on elevation, Lat/Long sun/wind, mosquitos....maybe not the mossies but Ive seen bears every day in the last two weeks, all through out the day.
    Last edited by Firstblood; 05-31-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Seen bears out in the middle of the day +33, they were in the shade side of a pipeline just pigging out on grass. I don’t think it matters that much. Best part of the day for black bears is the last few hours of the day. Had great success on a hot day right before a storm roles in. AC/DC thunder struck on the radio for the win as the storm builds and the big boars are roaming...... right about this time of year.
    yee haw bang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Maybe I read this wrong, but it seams to me that Hugh Mann was asking about keeping the meat from spoiling and such. I cart a cooler full of frozen water bottles along to cool the meat, also great if there is a cold small stream to dump the bear in and get the temp down fast before cutting it up. Most of my hunting is less than an hour to hour and a half from home so this has worked well for me. Had on nice bear I had to let walk one fall because I was too far from the truck to deal with it timely.

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    Maybe I read this wrong, but it seams to me that Hugh Mann was asking about keeping the meat from spoiling and such. I cart a cooler full of frozen water bottles along to cool the meat, also great if there is a cold small stream to dump the bear in and get the temp down fast before cutting it up. Most of my hunting is less than an hour to hour and a half from home so this has worked well for me. Had on nice bear I had to let walk one fall because I was too far from the truck to deal with it timely.
    I was actually asking about their behaviour and patterns, however that is also a concern. Thanks for the tip.

Bear behavior would be the same as your behavior if you were wearing a couple winter jackets but still want to munch bugs and grass and have naps. If you think like the bear you will find the bear