Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Re: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I went from not needing/wanting a tent to looking at Arcticoven tents. They are pretty sweet but damn expensive.

At 75 lbs I wouldn't call them light, either.

If I remember right my 12x14 wall tent using EMT poles was about 140lbs. The lighter tent would sure be nice for boat in trips.

dang, I did not expect a 12x14 wall tent to be that heavy

the 12x12 arctic oven is 78 lbs and the 10' is 56 lbs...I'm also keeping weight in mind for the boat, the the arctic oven is looking better for my purposes, aside from the price
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Thanks for all the PM offers on used tents.

I just made a deal with a local HBCer for a 10x12 Delux Wall tent with frame and porch. I'm certain this is the right size tent for my needs for a hell of a fair price.
    Awesome Ron that is a decision you won't regret! And in a pinch you can get three guys comfortable so don't hesitate with the invites!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Walters_welding View Post
    I have the cabelas bighorn3 outfitter tent and love it! I made a stove from an old propane tank and it’s a great 4season tent for my young fam of five. I can set it up alone in 15-20 minutes and it’s been holding strong for 4 years now..... plus I lucked out and got it on sale (minus stove) for $699. Weighs around 70lbs and packs into a duffle size bag
    X2
    I have the vestibule with mine and a hippie killer stove. Also have a bunch of those square (about 30inch x30 inch) interlocking high density foam pads on the floor. Has been used for the last 8 yrs. Usually 3 or 4 guys.
    All of the attributes mentioned above are spot on. Plus it fits (both size and weight) in a plane for fly-in trips if you want.
    Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Awesome Ron that is a decision you won't regret! And in a pinch you can get three guys comfortable so don't hesitate with the invites!!
    Just got back from my first trip with the 10 x 12 wall tent.

Perfect size for two guys and wood stove. Had pleanty of room for a couple large coolers storing gear and my pups kennel.

It was a bit wet when we broke camp so I ran a line on the garage ceiling and hung the tent for 2 days to dry. I think that would be my only advice for someone buying one is to consider how you will dry it after the hunt.

Im all for roughing it, but I wish Id bought one of these sooner.

The biggest factor is if you’re packing in or trucking where weight isn’t an issue.We have a hunting trailer to sleep in but I still take along my old portable garage frame and put a tarp over it..costs nothing( you can generally get the frame for free ) and the extra dry space is invaluable,we also used it to hang quarters to keep the sun off.Having a tarp frame is great when your camp doesn’t have trees to string it
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.

the one we use has no canvass...just a tarp (doubled for cold weather)

Snowtrekker - lightweight and awesome, use the 9x12, 3' wall all winter for trapping here in the Yukon. It's about 23lbs or so, dead simple to set up. Cheaper and lighter than the Arctic Ovens (second choice in this neck of the woods)

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Strongly recommend looking into the portable garages that Costco sells. No issue with rolling them up wet and a fraction of the price of canvas. We had a huge one we called the Taj Mahal. Slept 10 of us with enough room around the diesel heater for chairs.

We did not use it for cooking, though we could have configured it to have large covered verandas instead of so much room inside.

Yeah we did this.
    For the front door we built a door with plywood and a hole for the stove pipe.
    Sheet of aluminum to protect the plywood from the stove heat.
    Used it for 3 seasons in -20 C weather. No problems.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach