Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Re: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

I have had a wall tent for at least 15years. Mine is 12X14 with internal frame. It has a porch that is attached. Your will use a porch constantly if you have it.
    If compact is what your after this size will be to big for just two guys. You could get away with much less room, especially if you plan on moving it and the poles via quad.
    My hunting partner has a much smaller one. It may even be 8X10. 2 organized guys can fit and hunt from that size tent. It also has a wood stove in it.
    If your not pinched for room though I would go a tad bigger than smaller.
    My family used to all camp in the 12x14. Wife and I ,2 kids. Double bed cot for us, 2 single cots for kids. dog on its bed infront of the fire.
    That said, rainy west coast hunting; this size gives; room to dry gear, place to sit; table inside;room for extra wood and totes with gear.

You wont regret buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Two guys for a couple weeks = 10x12. plenty of room. Put a 12x14 tap over top of it and stake it out, it will add YER TO THE LIFE OF THE TENT, KEEP IT CLEAN AND SUPER DRY AND gives you nice covered space for firewood chain saw etc etc. Consider a 5' porch too. Usually the best price and excellent quality, local company is Polar Bear Equipment - Give Jim a call and tell him Tozer sent you... (250) 656-2377‬) He is a great guy but gets really busy this time of year so be sure to order at least 4 weeks ahead of the time you plan to leave. Make sure you set it up before taking off... Wall tents are the bestus! NOTE : He sometimes has used tents on hand too, worth the call to ask!
    Thanks Bill,

I have decided that the 10x12 is the right size for me in a traditional wall tent for a few reasons.

- I only want it for 2 people ( and maybe my pup).
    - it will be easy to heat with wood stove or propane heater.
    - not too much for one person to set up
    - I can dry it in my garage

The more I look at tents though, I am finding they are like boats in that no one size or type of tent can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    The more I look at tents though, I am finding they are like boats in that no one size or type of tent can do it all.
    This. Life is a series of tradeoffs, especially when it comes to toys.

Good luck with your decision.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

this is a bit of a stupid question on wall tents, but do guys hang up any sort of black out liner inside the tent? why are wall tents always white canvas?

while driving out late at night last season, I drove past a camp setup, pitch dark, and couldn't help but notice a man and wife were enjoying an "intimate" evening lol...with the illuminated silhouettes there was zero question what the occupants were up to, I had never considered that aspect before with wall tents

I'm comparing an arctic oven tent vs wall tent, big selling feature is comfort to get the gf out there on longer trips...that would be something to keep in mind I guess haha
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

They're white so you can see inside it. If it were black youd need a headlamp even during the day.

Black would help keep it a bit more warm though ... wonder if anyone ever tried it.

Canvas seems like such an outdated material to use In today's day and age.

Heavy, bulky, prone to mildew ...

Compared to my ice huts though, black interior coating and dark exterior fabric, open a couple windows and that’s all the light you need during the day

I agree it seems like an outdated material

so far I’m leaning towards arctic oven tent, only downside I can see is the higher cost
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    They're white so you can see inside it. If it were black youd need a headlamp even during the day.

Black would help keep it a bit more warm though ... wonder if anyone ever tried it.

looked after that canvas tent will last into decades of use. No new material that tent makers use can make that claim. The biggest thing for me is that it’s a single wall tent that breathes no nylon tent can do that. Canvas also does a good job of holding heat in much better than a Alaknak style tent.

The pros of canvas far outweigh the cons. There is a reason than has been used for hundreds of years.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

looked after that canvas tent will last into decades of use. No new material that tent makers use can make that claim. The biggest thing for me is that it’s a single wall tent that breathes no nylon tent can do that. Canvas also does a good job of holding heat in much better than a Alaknak style tent.

The pros of canvas far outweigh the cons. There is a reason than has been used for hundreds of years.

Thanks for all the PM offers on used tents.

I just made a deal with a local HBCer for a 10x12 Delux Wall tent with frame and porch. I'm certain this is the right size tent for my needs for a hell of a fair price.

I went from not needing/wanting a tent to looking at Arcticoven tents. They are pretty sweet but damn expensive.

At 75 lbs I wouldn't call them light, either.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?