Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Re: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

There are tent companies that are selling Chinese made ones with light, poor count canvas. They come with a guarantee to leak and tear . Good canvas costs.

Me and my old man use a costco easy-up. They are under $300, set up in 15 minutes including pegs and guy lines if its windy. and have the canvas sides on them so its fully enclosed unlike most easy ups.

We haven alpine chef stove and it works well for us with two full size cots.

We dont cook in it either and it would be cramped for 3 guys as it is only 10x10.

But if you're on a tight budget, they are under $300

Had a look at a traditional 10x12 wall tent set up and I honestly dont think I need anything bigger. This one was without porch. Even the 10x12 seemed quite roomy compared to what weve be using and it's a mansion if I go alone or just take my dog.

The tent we use now is dome 6.5 x 7.5, with a 6' peak. Weve used this as our basecamp tent for 6 hunts, always tarped. It cannot handle very much snow load as weve found out on more than one occasion. With the exception of 4+ inches of snow, this setup has worked fine for us as we dont spend much time in the tent other than sleeping, but a bit more room and some heat in basecamp would be nice, especially for the later season hunts." Plus a capability to handle snow"

I talked to a couple guys that use cabelas bighorns and read some reviews. A couple negative reviews say the material wont hold the test of time like traditional wall tents and condensation issues? But I believe this is all about how you care for your gear.

During my research, I've also peeked at Eskers, Various teepee style "hot tents" and yesterday looked at the Arctic Oven tents. And I still need to do more research on the Eena tent that a couple members recommended.

I've considered the portable garage shelters in the past but not really convinced as I've seen two them come apart in inclement weather. And we often spike out so I have to know my basecamp will hold when we are gone for a couple days. "SEE COMMENT ABOVE ABOUT CURRENT TENT NOT HANDLING SNOW LOAD".

Also looked at making a "hot tent". From one of the pip up ice fishing shelters. That option is still on the table.
    Anyhow, the search for the right tent continues
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-02-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Wood stoves take room. Until you have camped with one, you don't know how nice they are. I used a 22" tin airtight . One of the laws about wood stoves is that larger the fire box the longer the burn . The other one is the more air tight they are the longer they burn without cooking you out. It's pretty nice sitting, drinking hot buttered rums while a sleet storm rages out side. Done that. I've used tents for backpacking, canoe camping, of course car camping, but the wall tent and a wood stove is by far the nicest way to go.

Gerry and Ed's main regret was that they didn't splurge on a wall tent, both being cheaper than the other, they went with others who had the equipment.

I've seen a great tepee set up. It was a group and they had a big one , just plastic, with a fire in the center and keg sitting out side with the hoses leading in.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I have an old 10x12 Woods Prospector with 3ft. walls, shortly after buying it and using it I knew I had to do something about the walls, to be more comfortable, more head room. I was talking to a buddy of mine that is a marine upholstery and boat top guy. He just said bring it down to his shop and he add 3ft. of heavy duty tarp to the bottom. The tent became twice the tent with 5ft. walls.

I like that idea!

Ron,
    Shannon and I are looking at an Esker Arctic Fox 9 for both of us and the elkhound. Pretty light and easy to set up. Price is pretty good too.

We also plan on tobogganing it with snowshoes and/or skis for winter camping up here.
    Last edited by the_longwalker; 06-03-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    Ron,
    Shannon and I are looking at an Esker Arctic Fox 9 for both of us and the elkhound. Pretty light and easy to set up. Price is pretty good too.

We also plan on tobogganing it with snowshoes and/or skis for winter camping up here.
    Mike,

Hell would freeze over before I ever get my Shannon winter camping

I've been eyeing the Eskers tents. I like the 10x10 winter camping hot tent. They are on the short list
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-03-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Mike,

Hell would freeze over before I ever get my Shannon winter camping

I've been eyeing the Eskers tents. I like the 10x10 winter camping hot tent. They are on the short list
    Just tell her there is Bailey's for her hot chocolate

Along the line of the Costco car shelter,

Midland Liquidators also sells the car shelters, they also sell the individual panels, poles and coupling pieces if something breaks.

http://www.midlandcanopies.com/

The tent, poles and tarps for all four sides was somewhere south of $400 after taxes.

The statement about the car shelter being breezy is accurate. It's hard to keep the heat in when the wind is blowing even with the wood stove cranked up.
    However, when used as a "living room" in conjunction with a camper it can't be beat....

I cut up one of my side panels to poke the wood stove pipe through since the side was only $15 replace. Car shelter is a 10X14 Poles could probably be repurposed into a canvas tent if desired.

Two guys for a couple weeks = 10x12. plenty of room. Put a 12x14 tap over top of it and stake it out, it will add YER TO THE LIFE OF THE TENT, KEEP IT CLEAN AND SUPER DRY AND gives you nice covered space for firewood chain saw etc etc. Consider a 5' porch too. Usually the best price and excellent quality, local company is Polar Bear Equipment - Give Jim a call and tell him Tozer sent you... (250) 656-2377‬) He is a great guy but gets really busy this time of year so be sure to order at least 4 weeks ahead of the time you plan to leave. Make sure you set it up before taking off... Wall tents are the bestus! NOTE : He sometimes has used tents on hand too, worth the call to ask!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."