Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Hi all,

I've done my share of nights in small tents in some pretty cold weather. On backpack trips, that's the reality but for basecamp, no longer acceptable. Our last trip saw us in a week of -25 nights in base camp, was too cold, too cramped. It didn't stop our hunt but not wanting to do that again.

So, I am thinking it's time for a wall tent " for base camp". I only want a tent big enough for 2 people, personal gear + a stove.

Wont be cooking in the tent.

Was also looking at those cabelas tents that can run a stove, but not convinced they are worth the $$. Anyone with any experience with the cabelas outfitter type tents?

For those that use traditional type wall tents, what size would you recommend?

I'd be interested in a second hand tent, if in good condition, if anyone has one they might part with.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-30-2019 at 10:50 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I Think I Want a Wall Tent

Strongly recommend looking into the portable garages that Costco sells. No issue with rolling them up wet and a fraction of the price of canvas. We had a huge one we called the Taj Mahal. Slept 10 of us with enough room around the diesel heater for chairs.

We did not use it for cooking, though we could have configured it to have large covered verandas instead of so much room inside.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

No concerns about that material it was made from and the stove?

My piece that are bases whatever size you think you need to get one size bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    No concerns about that material it was made from and the stove?
    No, it was made of fire-******ant material. We used a wood stove one year and got a few ember holes in it, I much prefer the diesel heater because there are no burning embers emitted. That said, it was easier to put a patch on the material than it would be to fix a canvas tent with similar burn holes.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Since I picked mine up when I was 23 I don’t think I’d go back to anything else for a base camp. Went with a 10x12 as it’s perfect for 2 guys, a stove and gear. I use it solo often, a yearly week long trip with my dad and usually atleast one week long trip a year with 3 guys. 3 guys it’s alittle cramped but we get by, and two like I said is perfect.

Its great for basecamp especially since it doesn’t take up much room in the truck and leaves the receiver open to tow a trailer. I’ve also ferried it into truck inaccessible places via sxs and quad for late season goat hunts so it’s a very versatile camp set up.

Id advise you to get a porch, 5ft walls and the internal frame for ease of set up. I can set it up myself in 20 mins, hell I even took it down in the bush with one hand after I severed a tendon in the other. Only downside is having the space to dry it properly after.

I have done both the cosco garage and a wall tent. personally I prefer the wall tent, found it way less breezy on the inside, setup was a little easier. cons are price and having the room to properly dry it out afterwards. Check out northwest shelters in surrey if you are local to the lml, great place to deal with, love the tent I got from them.
    It aint easy being green

Ron, take a look at the Eena tents by Beckel Canvas. They make a 10x10 and a 14x14. Awesome, light-weight tents, not your traditional wall-tent shape but they are nice tents. Mine is going on over 25 years of use. Very fast to setup as opposed to traditional wall tents. I'll have my whole camp setup while my buddies are still messing with tent poles.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I never really considered drying, but I do have a garage and covered deck so I think I'd be able to manage drying it

I picked up a 10x12 wall tent from polar bear industries in Sydney. If you want to have a look at it pm me and we'll set up a time. I'm in Cobble Hill so not to far from you. I could not find a better deal anywhere.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.