Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

Hey,

What are your thoughts on "shooting sticks" sometimes called "trigger sticks"

My dad has been wanting to get one since last year, but i don't know how convenient they will be. do they get in the way? is it hard too swing your rifle off your shoulder? Are they too cumbersome to carry? Bipod vs single? ....... and tips, review, experiences would be awesome.

Most of the hunting we do is walking. find a nice trail/forest road, park the car and walk for 2 or 3 hours. then find another trail and repeat. Most of the landscape is semi wooded.

Ps: this is what i mean by shooting/trigger stick.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

I've eyed that up many times but have never pulled the trigger. Doesn't really seem practical, I don't even bust out my msr hiking poles ever really *shrug*

Meh, to me it’s just one more thing that will get in the way

Hmm have the Primos.Jim Shockey edition tripod shooting sticks..like them, use themrecomend them.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Can they double as a hiking stick?

I like them. It does double as a nice hiking stick and makes a huge difference on free hand shots. To me, if I don't have time to get the rifle rested on them because the animal is running away I am not a good enough shot to try it without them.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I have the tall tripod version. I like it but not sure if it’s worth the money.
    The tall version is too long, even when not extended it sticks pretty high out of the pack. The shorter version would be too short for me, but would pack better. It’s a bit awkward to use as a walking stick and I wouldn’t recommend it for that. It has been handy if I set up in a spot and need a good shooting platform to get above brush. But you could use hiking poles for the same thing by just wrapping the wrist straps around the poles and get a good bipod rest. It’s definitely not a must have, and it gets left home more often then not. I mostly take it if I’m setting up in the winter for wolves.

In theory, it’s great. It could give you an opportunity to quickly deploy a stable shorting platform. But in reality the cons start to weigh down the pros.

And if if you are thinking you could use it with a spotting scope with the threaded attachment, you can, but you only have the ability to pan. You’ll have to adjust the sticks to move vertical.

I have the tripod, they are great if you want a rest and need to shoot standing bc of the brush. Way more solid than a double or mono stick. Heavier though too. I use them a lot when I am pretending to be a guide with my dad. As long as someone is the "trigger stick" guy, he can get them setup for the shooter quickly and easily. If you had to do it yourself, it would take a bit more time to get the legs apart. If it was for a solo hunt I don't generally bring them, I will just shoot free hand, but a guy like my dad needs all the help he can get. But usually if I have to shoot on a solo hunt standing its because the animal is right in front of me, otherwise theres time to find a rest or go prone...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Tried one once. Wasn't a fan but I can see where they have their place. There have maybe been two times where they would have come in handy. Otherwise there is usually a tree or your pack to rest your rifle on.

I have used the single, but find it unstable at full extension, not bad if you take a knee or sit. Also good for binocular stabilizers.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.