Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

Re: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

I used to have a straight shooting stick that doubled as a walking stick. It wasn't great for taking a stable shot, I ended up preferring to shoot off hand. I now carry a tripod trigger stick that I love, but I don't generally hike with it. I carry it in the truck and on the quad. Very fast and very stable, have used it many times and it comes in especially handy for my kids who have both shot deer with it.

Make your own trigger or shooting stick. I think, I shot most animals off my shooting stick that I also use as hiking/ bushwhacking stick/ tool.
    I used old ski poles, put wooden handles on them and cut them to the right length for a kneeling shot. See what works for you.
    I like them and I got used to them.

I'm another guy here who has used the tripod version of the trigger stick. It came in handy for the northern regions where the brush you're in is often 3' high. Too high to rest on a backpack or your rifle bipod. I do a bit of backpack hunting however, and if I didn't have a base camp by the river I would never bring them. I'd lean on a tree branch or find another position if that was the case. Shooting off the extended hiking poles can be a challenge as well but it's another excuse to go practice shooting your rifle.

They have their place, but they aren't necessarily a must have, just my .02.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Berg Stocks are about as old as the Hills. No serious Mountain Hunter in the Alps would ever go without. However most of those Guys are very Practical and cut there own usually from Hazelnut. Anyone seen with anything resembling Store bought Aluminum will instantly be consider a City Slicker likely without much experience.
    Here in BC I cut ours from Birch and sometimes Pine then I peel the bark off and the Stick is almost dried out and very light within the first Day. They should be longer then your tall so you can rest your Binocular easily on it while standing. Upper end should be no less then 1.1/4" and lower end 1.3/8 or 2" so you can use it as a brace while sliding down a Snowfield or Shale slide.

Using a natural and readily available Stick instead a manufactured Product saves you Money and at the same time reduces your carbon Footprint.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I have a bad ankle and have used a hiking staff for years now when in rough terrain. This year I am putting a shooting fork on the end. Should be functional on both fronts.

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

The mono pole ones really aren't very steady. If you walk a lot, the others are probaly not great for what you want either. If you sit at a lake, or over a field, the tripod ones are great, but as mentioned before, are cumbersome and quite noisy if you hit them on anything. They are just one of those things that you might have to bite the bullet and buy it to try it.

I ended up buying one after I missed a shot on a black bear. Then again I had bear fever when I looked at one in my scope for the first time. If I can I’ll use my stick if know other option is present

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    I've used shooting sticks in Africa and Spain. My word of advise is to practice using them before you go on your hunt.
    I speak from experience...
    Great advice.....i too found that you need to practice when using either the monopod or bipod.
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!

Bought one, used it a few times, doesn’t come with me any more, didn’t really care for it. It’s all what’s comfy for you

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have the bipod and they also double as a walking stick. I also have the taller ones, but do not see why someone would say too tall. You spread the legs apart and goes down to 24" off the ground. You can also move the feet out in front or behind to adjust height . The V also comes off and you can screw on your binos or spotting scope, so that can be handy. They are not cheap , but built strong and will last with rough treatment
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."