Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

Re: Trigger Sticks - A must have or not

I use the bog pod triple and another made by primos. They are extended to where I need to shoot off and I never take a shot at an animal now without them unless it's close. It's a matter of a couple seconds to get set up. When I hunt out of a blind I use the same thing. I just treat it like a hiking stick. The ones I use are light although some primos brands and others are too heavy to walk with imo.

Short of the tripod, I’ve never seen anyone hold steady with a single pole.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I used to carry one everywhere but only ever used it once, fully retracted while prone (for a 70 yard "surgical" shot) where I probably just have shot off my pack anyway. Now I only take one if l'm going to hang out somewhere that might require a longer standing shot.

The one ones we used to use were nice because they would retract down to 8 inches or so, and fit in the side pocket of our packs so they wouldn't get in the way.

Unfortunately they both broke (they were definitely too flimsy for even a casual hiking stick used for very slight balance)

We bought new ones that are still nearly 2 feet when retracted. I can't tell they don't fit in with my gear or typical hunting scenario, so they live in the jeep and are used for the occasional rifle check. I still pack out of the broke ones as it still good for a kneeling or prone shot.

If I hunted places where 300-400 shots were needed (and could actually shoot that far, I'd probably pack one) but for whatever reason it usually goes down at 10-15 yards for me.

I have a bipod for when I'm sitting. Very handy if I'm using a popup blind and a chair. When I'm walking then kneeling or using a tree as a rest is faster.

I’ve used the one in the photo and a different one. Both didn’t last long, legs jammed up

They're awesome if you know you're going to be sitting in the same place for a while. Allows you to setup wherever you want and get above the grass, though they are fairly heavy and cumbersome to carry around if hiking. I made a nylon webbing shoulder strap for mine, with a plastic clip to quick release and setup when needed. I've found that the legs bind on mine (Primos) when it is below freezing, which is pretty annoying. Overall I like it, but as someone else said, there's usually something nearby to use as a shooting rest when walking.

Love the idea, and have packed one arou d, but hate carrying extra stuff. Can see the value if hunting with a friend and one guy is the shooter, the other is the stick man. Makes sense for setting up and calling moose

I have the short tripod and tall tripod Primos sticks. The short one came in handy last fall when my partner used it to make a nice 275 yard shot on his moose. I've practiced with the short tripod out to 500 yards and it makes shot placement much easier
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Never used them and likely never will. I do practice shooting more than most people though. I could see the use if you were sitting in a blind all day but I think they would be too cumbersome for my style of hiking/hunting.

I used to grab a stick and use it as a support for shooting whenever I hunted but I was lined up on nice whitetail two years ago using a stick and I was swaying all over the place with being tired and excited. Missed. I picked up a Primos bi pod trigger stick and now I don't want to go with out it. I would highly recommend it. They stop working in the "very" cold but they make a stable rest if you are sitting or kneeling. Get one.

I did lose one once when I stopped for a bush squat and just walked away after and left it sitting against a tree.