Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Cabellas Brand" Pellet Smoker vs Traeger

Re: "Cabellas Brand" Pellet Smoker vs Traeger

It is a smoker not a BBQ and they state that, cant sear a steak but thats not what its for. My issue is consumer affairs reviews 3/5 stars. Many stating warranty issues and mechanical/ electrical problems, operating problems and consistency. I know two people who have had them and in less than two years had to replace them completely. For a smoker that costs over a grand some closer to 2 even 3 thousand dollars I expected more, A LOT more. Saying that I have had good food off of one, but much better off of wood charcoal smokers and grills.

I’ve had zero issue searing steaks on my pit boss, just slide open the grill grate and it’s direct flame. I just reverse sear it instead, cook on low till desired internal temp, remove steaks, crank it up full throttle, sear.

Best deal I could find was at Crappy tire

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    After a lot of research i bought a green mountain grill 2 months ago. We love it our propane bbq has not been used since!!
    GMG for the win. I bought one a few summers ago (no fancy WiFi or anything) and feel the same way

My traeger doesn't get that hot. My Pit Boss will bury the needle and keep going. I am sure, as stated above, if you expose the burner you will have more than enough heat.

I bought a Louisiana, they have the sear grill for steaks, I get it ripping to 600 and sear away..... The Louisiana's are built a little beefier, the gauge of steel in the deflector plate below the grill is thicker, in my opinion this will be the first thing to rust out or burn through. Shepherds in Armstrong gave me the lowdown, the Louisianas are built just a little better and the sear grill is a bonus... I picked mine up used off facebook marketplace for $375.00 . I also missed out on the Cabellas big one in the bargain cave for $400 that retailed at $1,100. Kicked myself for that.... I don't think anything has touched the propane BBQ since I bought the smoker... Pulling a Homer Simpson and drooling on the keyboard now.....

Had a traeger for ten years. Love it. No issue cooking steaks at all. Smoke for 20 minutes then cook. Juicest meat I have ever had. Never dries out hamburgers etc . No issues at all. Kept outside even in snow. Can’t go wrong in my mind and would never go back to propane or gas

Quote Originally Posted by bennya View Post
    GMG for the win. I bought one a few summers ago (no fancy WiFi or anything) and feel the same way
    I'm very happy with my GMG. I did go for the wifi model. It's kinda cool but not necessary.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Bought a GMG last summer and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Save your money the Cabelas grills are made by Traegar!
    For real? How do you know...?

Hmmm so now, unfortunately, Green Mountain is in the mix as well. Which model did you get?