Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spring 2019 bear hunt

Re: spring 2019 bear hunt

Glad to see you are doing better, last i heard you were pretty ill.. keep on keeping on bro
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Sweet Jesus that would of been scary! You have a sweet setup on your atv , luckily nothing bad happened. It was a real pleasure , I mean a real honour meeting you in person! Just a great guy all around and knows his shit! Truly made the hunting trip just that more awesome. Hope to meet up possibly in the future again. Thanks again Steve!

Hmm wasnt too interested in anythng but big red or 7 foot black bear..the big black I drew a map for James and Tyler.and they did see it.
    Anytime James, Tyler we could do 8 or 9 days.?
    I learned of this specific area by Ed Gerow..Warren..
    I could have harvested 12 or so bears..a couple..probably no shot? The couple sows with cubs were obviously no go.
    I went to enjoy life..I did and met Tyler and James, helped Michael 2 bear become Mchael 4 bear.
    And both grizzly encounters worked out fine in the end.
    Srupp

Hows the health Steven?? Lots of members worried about you
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm wasnt too interested in anythng but big red or 7 foot black bear..the big black I drew a map for James and Tyler.and they did see it.
    Anytime James, Tyler we could do 8 or 9 days.?
    I learned of this specific area by Ed Gerow..Warren..
    I could have harvested 12 or so bears..a couple..probably no shot? The couple sows with cubs were obviously no go.
    I went to enjoy life..I did and met Tyler and James, helped Michael 2 bear become Mchael 4 bear.
    And both grizzly encounters worked out fine in the end.
    Srupp
    hell ya anytime you wish to have company let us know! We can make it happen

Hmmmmmmmm....
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Hows the health Steven?? Lots of members worried about you
    Health is extremely bad.another dr visit tomorrow.just cant see sitting on the couch..
    Unfortunatley you work 38 years get hurt.then sick..then sacked by the wrong meds ...
    Susan recently said she worries that when she leaves for uptown..she is always concerned IF something has happened to me and what she will find.
    I did pack the SPOT..always...
    Im trying to pack in as much as I can..while I can.
    Thank you for asking..wish it were better..
    Cheers
    Steven
    Trying to share and pass on as much as I can also...

Hmmm what did I learn from my adventure...?
    Now have a extra ATV KEY on my trailer keys and working on clever spot on quad?
    Will now carry 2 led headlamps
    That will guarantee that scenario is never repeated.
    Thinking of the situation and location..very nearBlack creek where 10 ? Years ago a guide outfitter was found devoured by a bear.
    Weather he was attacked and killed or died and was fed on by bears. .I was nearthe same spotwhen CO's were flying around in chopper..yikes..
    Good outcome all in all.
    Srupp

Never hard to lay down the bears around here. Been packing strictly archery gear this season. Rifle may come out mid June.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm just in from 14 days bear hunt.seen 28 black bear helped 3 hunters achieve 3 blacks..first grizzly was close..second was epic..
    Coming down from the snow after dark enjoying the wonderful light of the led light bar by rigid..came around the bend on a tight atv trail to encounter a 500 pound behemouth grizzly completely blocking my way.turning or retreating was not an option.
    The bear was instantly agitated at my quad..and bounced on his front legs while shaking his head..I thought turning the engine off while keeping the lights on would sooth the savage beast.
    BIG MISTAKE ...
    In my clumsy attempt to hit the keys I hooked my finger through the key fob achieving both shutting off the engine AND lights AND sending the keys off into the brush..
    Fine pickle..no extra keys, no lights and still just 25 yards to the bear. .
    Was he still there ?
    The popping of teeth assured me..yes he was..
    I loaded up my .338 in the dark..complete dark and sorted through my day box for my day bag that held my FENIX $$$$$$$$ light..I snapped it on to still see urasus arctos horribbilious still there when seconds later the light crapped out.dont get much for $150..in this case less than 4 uses ! What a time for equipment failure..I should have had a second light..I should have had a second set of keys. .I should have been able to run. ..
    After dealing with the situation....
    I walked 2 kms to camp..2 flashlights,2 litres of water and 2 kms back to the atv..the keys were instantly found with a light..grrrrrr
    Back home for a mocha coffee, and watch the stars and sunrise. .
    I turned down all black bears encountered, met some wonderfull HBC members had an enjoyable camping hunting trip..home and then off for a week or 2 of flyfishing..
    Cheers
    Srupp

More on jaw popping.
    Personally never heard the sound. Read that the sound is not necessarily a sign of aggression but probably a sign of distress or fear.
    https://vimeo.com/107603731
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein