Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spring 2019 bear hunt

spring 2019 bear hunt

Hmmm just in from 14 days bear hunt.seen 28 black bear helped 3 hunters achieve 3 blacks..first grizzly was close..second was epic..
    Coming down from the snow after dark enjoying the wonderful light of the led light bar by rigid..came around the bend on a tight atv trail to encounter a 500 pound behemouth grizzly completely blocking my way.turning or retreating was not an option.
    The bear was instantly agitated at my quad..and bounced on his front legs while shaking his head..I thought turning the engine off while keeping the lights on would sooth the savage beast.
    BIG MISTAKE ...
    In my clumsy attempt to hit the keys I hooked my finger through the key fob achieving both shutting off the engine AND lights AND sending the keys off into the brush..
    Fine pickle..no extra keys, no lights and still just 25 yards to the bear. .
    Was he still there ?
    The popping of teeth assured me..yes he was..
    I loaded up my .338 in the dark..complete dark and sorted through my day box for my day bag that held my FENIX $$$$$$$$ light..I snapped it on to still see urasus arctos horribbilious still there when seconds later the light crapped out.dont get much for $150..in this case less than 4 uses ! What a time for equipment failure..I should have had a second light..I should have had a second set of keys. .I should have been able to run. ..
    After dealing with the situation....
    I walked 2 kms to camp..2 flashlights,2 litres of water and 2 kms back to the atv..the keys were instantly found with a light..grrrrrr
    Back home for a mocha coffee, and watch the stars and sunrise. .
    I turned down all black bears encountered, met some wonderfull HBC members had an enjoyable camping hunting trip..home and then off for a week or 2 of flyfishing..
    Cheers
    Srupp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: spring 2019 bear hunt

Steven, love that you started this one with “hmmm”. Glad your bear in the dark episode end well too!
    Hope your fishing trip is great.

D

Holly crap!! That sounds freakin intense! Terrible time to have light failure. I don't know what I would have done in that situation.

Arrow Re: spring 2019 bear hunt

JezHus Buddy, one of these days you are going to push the Luck Factor just a little too far!
    That said, I'll bet the Pucker Factor was strong on this one! LOL!

Happy to hear you survived (yet again!).

Any pix of the bears that did topple by any chance??

Wondering...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Just reading that was cringe-worthy. Can't imagine being in that situation first hand. All I can say is.... whoa

Hmmm not got any photos.shorts were $ hit..lol
    Friday 2 weeks of flyfishing..
    Srupp
    Talke with Fenix reps today

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm just in from 14 days bear hunt.seen 28 black bear helped 3 hunters achieve 3 blacks..first grizzly was close..second was epic..
    Coming down from the snow after dark enjoying the wonderful light of the led light bar by rigid..came around the bend on a tight atv trail to encounter a 500 pound behemouth grizzly completely blocking my way.turning or retreating was not an option.
    The bear was instantly agitated at my quad..and bounced on his front legs while shaking his head..I thought turning the engine off while keeping the lights on would sooth the savage beast.
    BIG MISTAKE ...
    In my clumsy attempt to hit the keys I hooked my finger through the key fob achieving both shutting off the engine AND lights AND sending the keys off into the brush..
    Fine pickle..no extra keys, no lights and still just 25 yards to the bear. .
    Was he still there ?
    The popping of teeth assured me..yes he was..
    I loaded up my .338 in the dark..complete dark and sorted through my day box for my day bag that held my FENIX $$$$$$$$ light..I snapped it on to still see urasus arctos horribbilious still there when seconds later the light crapped out.dont get much for $150..in this case less than 4 uses ! What a time for equipment failure..I should have had a second light..I should have had a second set of keys. .I should have been able to run. ..
    After dealing with the situation....
    I walked 2 kms to camp..2 flashlights,2 litres of water and 2 kms back to the atv..the keys were instantly found with a light..grrrrrr
    Back home for a mocha coffee, and watch the stars and sunrise. .
    I turned down all black bears encountered, met some wonderfull HBC members had an enjoyable camping hunting trip..home and then off for a week or 2 of flyfishing..
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Good to hear you came through unscathed.
    Lucky that you didn't have another encounter with the same grizz during the 2 km walk to camp. Probably not a predatory grizz.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Hmmm bear definatly was agitated and frankly I AM surprised it did not end with a full out charge or contact. .all pointed to that ending. The last encounter with a bear displaying these characteristics ended poorly for one large stoopid black bear.
    This bear definatly held ALL the advantages. .
    I thought I was prepared. .did not expect the keys getting lost..my mistake..not truly scared..just clumsy,
    I thought Fenix would never fail..going to pack second light..and second set of keys in my day pack.
    I did stay calm..just pissed at the turn of events.
    It Was great to meet Michael 4 bears, and Tyler and James GREAT guys all 3.
    Srupp

Fudd Ruppster, it is good to see an adventure post from you again! Last post I recall you were not well and I was getting worried.

I have a key hidden on my rig. No matter what I lose during the hunt/hike, I'll be able to get home. Hate to say it, but I have scads of the LED flashlights from Costco scattered around. Not only have they never failed me, at $20 for 3 I can afford to have a few extras kicking around.

I cannot imagine the thought that went through your head when you tossed the key out of the quad. I bet the image of that griz was pretty well burned into your consciousness when the lights went out.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Seen you had your rigging out front there. Didn't notice any blood on the tailgate, but now I see why.