Hmmm just in from 14 days bear hunt.seen 28 black bear helped 3 hunters achieve 3 blacks..first grizzly was close..second was epic..
Coming down from the snow after dark enjoying the wonderful light of the led light bar by rigid..came around the bend on a tight atv trail to encounter a 500 pound behemouth grizzly completely blocking my way.turning or retreating was not an option.
The bear was instantly agitated at my quad..and bounced on his front legs while shaking his head..I thought turning the engine off while keeping the lights on would sooth the savage beast.
BIG MISTAKE ...
In my clumsy attempt to hit the keys I hooked my finger through the key fob achieving both shutting off the engine AND lights AND sending the keys off into the brush..
Fine pickle..no extra keys, no lights and still just 25 yards to the bear. .
Was he still there ?
The popping of teeth assured me..yes he was..
I loaded up my .338 in the dark..complete dark and sorted through my day box for my day bag that held my FENIX $$$$$$$$ light..I snapped it on to still see urasus arctos horribbilious still there when seconds later the light crapped out.dont get much for $150..in this case less than 4 uses ! What a time for equipment failure..I should have had a second light..I should have had a second set of keys. .I should have been able to run. ..
After dealing with the situation....
I walked 2 kms to camp..2 flashlights,2 litres of water and 2 kms back to the atv..the keys were instantly found with a light..grrrrrr
Back home for a mocha coffee, and watch the stars and sunrise. .
I turned down all black bears encountered, met some wonderfull HBC members had an enjoyable camping hunting trip..home and then off for a week or 2 of flyfishing..
Cheers
Srupp