Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Moose mortality stats

Re: Moose mortality stats

I wonder how many collars were destroyed by "unlicensed" hunters upon funding it that the animal was collared

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    I wonder how many collars were destroyed by "unlicensed" hunters upon funding it that the animal was collared
    Either way, the researches would speculate that the collars were destroyed thru human causes.
    And any other way of a collared moose dying they would still find the collar and maybe that answer to whether it was pred or human death.
    Unless the transmitter on the collar just "crapped out".

But, would be a good stat if it isn't in there already.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Some more proof!

Just released!
    “A total of 3,240 calls about black and grizzly bears were reported to the province last month — 1,183 more than the same period last year, according to data from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service.
    By comparison, there were about 4,500 calls in total in all of 2018.”
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...172618?cmp=rss
    More call ins does not mean the population is up everybody in the neighbour hood could be calling in about the same bear.
    On a side note since the thread is about mortality another elk dead in the EK all 4 quarters taken don't think you can blame that one on wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Actually with the amount of logging that occurs every year in BC added to the acreage burned there is massive potential for moose browse. Unfortunately when much of that acreage is just starting to produce good levels of browse, it is then sprayed with herbicides to knock it back down to essentially barren ground. The effects last for years until the conifers take over completely. It seems kinda crazy that a province the size of BC can't produce enough feed and that moose starvation is even an issue.
    Have you seen the stats for what the actual usage of sprays is? total acreage? per cent of blocks sprayed vs per cent left alone? What regions even use spray anymore? Does the spray effect deciduous for more than one growth season? are blocks sprayed with followup coverage?
    The facts show a sensible picture
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Someone explain to me how the forestry companies got away with spraying that crap on that underbrush etc.
    Yet, never got approved to spray to kill for beetle (granted, it would have affected everyone every where).
    Just saying, and sort of wondering.
    Would have been much more "lucrative" in the end, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Someone explain to me how the forestry companies got away with spraying that crap on that underbrush etc.
    Yet, never got approved to spray to kill for beetle (granted, it would have affected everyone every where).
    Just saying, and sort of wondering.
    Would have been much more "lucrative" in the end, imo.
    can’t spray for beetle. You can spray for defoliators such as the spruce budworm. Only effective way to deal with bark beetle is use of pheromones before the flight, or removed the infested tree before they fly..You will see log yards using beetle bait traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbow View Post
    can’t spray for beetle. You can spray for defoliators such as the spruce budworm. Only effective way to deal with bark beetle is use of pheromones before the flight, or removed the infested tree before they fly..You will see log yards using beetle bait traps.
    Okay, thanks for the info.
    Did the Forestry Sector use "Pheromones" at all in a spraying attempt to out the beetles at bay.
    Must be a way to have "baited them somehow"? and then burn them just like using a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the yellow jackets, toss filter in
    metal can, add gas, and boom, no more wasps!

Before the MPB outbreak they would bait them and followed up with a buck and burn program in the winter on small inaccessible areas.

Believe it it or not but the bark beetle has evolved over time and is a master of survival. A quick note, the woodpecker is not density depended meaning it’s number doesn’t fluctuate with the beetle numbers unlike the rabbit and lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Have you seen the stats for what the actual usage of sprays is? total acreage? per cent of blocks sprayed vs per cent left alone? What regions even use spray anymore? Does the spray effect deciduous for more than one growth season? are blocks sprayed with followup coverage?
    The facts show a sensible picture
    top of my head is about .02 percent of forested lands, but at the moment I can’t even remember when or where I read that so definitely don’t quote me on it

AND it’s over a 6 year period... 75% survival rate for 6 years is pretty awesome, you’d think...

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I didn't read the report just looked at the pie chart and I see 97 out of 400 dieing, thats a 75% survival rate? What did I miss?