Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Moose mortality stats

Re: Moose mortality stats

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Just got back from the cabin last week saw more bears than i could count. We have a pregnant cow moose on the property just about ready to calve. So we went out for a walk to take pictures of some deer rubs on the property and the cow moose was on the other side of the drainage and ran in the bush when we arrived. I let out 1 low cow call took the picture of the deer rub and turned around to see a black bear come up behind us in less then 20 seconds coming to the cow call. Well he ate a 300 grain bullet out of the 45/70 at 12 fricking paces I think maybe we just saved a calf moose
    Nice one Piperdown!

Just got back from the cabin last week saw more bears than i could count. We have a pregnant cow moose on the property just about ready to calve. So we went out for a walk to take pictures of some deer rubs on the property and the cow moose was on the other side of the drainage and ran in the bush when we arrived. I let out 1 low cow call took the picture of the deer rub and turned around to see a black bear come up behind us in less then 20 seconds coming to the cow call. Well he ate a 300 grain bullet out of the 45/70 at 12 fricking paces I think maybe we just saved a calf moose
    Thats the best way to feed bears! LOL

Good Work!

Both Eve & I use the 45/70's(since 2007)-hers is loaded with 300 gr & mine with up to 540 gr. I also use the 375 H&H loaded with 300 gr TBBC
    Never used the gun against a bear yet but was ready to fire with the gun pointed more than a few times & once at about 40 ft. or so but the bear retreated.

Just read a Srupp grizz encounter story & he saw 30 bears including 2 grizz.
    From my limited experience & talking to many hunters the bear numbers have been increasing & are way up especially the blackies.
    Been hunting the 5-03 & surrounding areas for over 50 years. When we started we'd be lucky to see 1 or 2 bears per trip. Lately I saw over a dozen in a few days.

The moose numbers & signs are way down.

Unfortunately we will not touch bear meat so won't be killing any unless it's for protection or they lift that requirement of taking home the bear meat.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 05-29-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Starvation...meaning there’s not enough browse. So what is causing that? Maybe the spraying of glysophate?
    Thank you for stating the obvious. There is zero reason for moose to be dieing of starvation in this province other than the wholesale destruction of their main food source, ie. deciduous trees. Continuing to spray aspen yearly and then to pretend to actually care about moose populations is laughable.

"There is zero reason for moose to be dieing of starvation in this province, other than the wholesale destruction of their main food source, ie. deciduous trees"'

actually there are more reasons, but you know that.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    "There is zero reason for moose to be dieing of starvation in this province, other than the wholesale destruction of their main food source, ie. deciduous trees"'

Well, if Moose do well in Cutblocks (traditionally speaking) than there should be "0" issues with feed for them in this Province.
    More Cutblocks than actual stands of trees it seems.

So yes, way more to these issues than feed, except for the "spray" being a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post

Actually with the amount of logging that occurs every year in BC added to the acreage burned there is massive potential for moose browse. Unfortunately when much of that acreage is just starting to produce good levels of browse, it is then sprayed with herbicides to knock it back down to essentially barren ground. The effects last for years until the conifers take over completely. It seems kinda crazy that a province the size of BC can't produce enough feed and that moose starvation is even an issue.

Thumbs up Re: Moose mortality stats

... Well he ate a 300 grain bullet out of the 45/70 at 12 fricking paces I think maybe we just saved a calf moose
    Awesome Sauce!!

Nice Work Buddy!!!

Cheers!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Good Work!

Both Eve & I use the 45/70's(since 2007)-hers is loaded with 300 gr & mine with up to 540 gr. I also use the 375 H&H loaded with 300 gr TBBC
    Never used the gun against a bear yet but was ready to fire with the gun pointed more than a few times & once at about 40 ft. or so but the bear retreated.

Just read a Srupp grizz encounter story & he saw 30 bears including 2 grizz.
    From my limited experience & talking to many hunters the bear numbers have been increasing & are way up especially the blackies.
    Been hunting the 5-03 & surrounding areas for over 50 years. When we started we'd be lucky to see 1 or 2 bears per trip. Lately I saw over a dozen in a few days.

The moose numbers & signs are way down.

Unfortunately we will not touch bear meat so won't be killing any unless it's for protection or they lift that requirement of taking home the bear meat.

Some more proof!

Just released!
    “A total of 3,240 calls about black and grizzly bears were reported to the province last month — 1,183 more than the same period last year, according to data from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service.
    By comparison, there were about 4,500 calls in total in all of 2018.”
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...172618?cmp=rss
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

would be nice to have some RAILWAY stats those are numbers that will put a weird light on this study wolves and black bears are #1 but they also eat the ones beside the tracks little piggies Horsee
    PIGS IS PIGS;BUT HOG'S IS HOGS!