Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose mortality stats

Re: Moose mortality stats

I noticed the "Respect the Cow Moose" signs on the logging roads and thought what a stupid sign, moose don't care about your respect just that you don't kill them...what is that supposed to mean and then my wife suggested it was for the Indians and it all made sense...sleds and unlicensed hunting
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Starvation...meaning there’s not enough browse. So what is causing that? Maybe the spraying of glysophate?

I'm really curious to read that study, but the link doesn't work for me. How did you find it? What's the title of the study?
    Last edited by Travisimo; 05-27-2019 at 10:08 AM.

STUDY DETERMINING FACTORS AFFECTING MOOSE POPULATIONCHANGE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA:TESTING THE LANDSCAPE CHANGE HYPOTHESIS

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    STUDY DETERMINING FACTORS AFFECTING MOOSE POPULATIONCHANGE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA:TESTING THE LANDSCAPE CHANGE HYPOTHESIS
    Thanks Sirloin, I'm going to have a good read tonight.

Numbers don’t lie.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Thank you, previous link didn’t work for me either. Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

With greater than 85% cow survival the dead cows aren’t what’s bringing on the decline....even if the picture of the cow moose head with the nose removed leads some to point fingers that unlicensed hunters and wolves are the declining factors.

Some points from the study;
    -an abnormally high percentage of the cows are old
    -The bull/cow ratio must be OK because the numbers of bred cows at the time of collaring was fine.
    -over half the cows were malnourished when observed after death
    -the number of 8 month old calves collared is much lower than the pregnant cow rate

So, in my opinion either one of two things is going on;
    -the cow moose are in to poor of condition to birth and raise a viable calf or bears are having a feast

chasing them around and off prime range all winter to kill em would also add to calf mortality/poor cow health...and it would seem to be recent enough that all the old cows havent died off but sustained for long enough to move the ageclass of cows older
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 05-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.

I didn't read the report just looked at the pie chart and I see 97 out of 400 dieing, thats a 75% survival rate? What did I miss?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA