Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Bear Trip - 4 Bears Down

Re: Spring Bear Trip - 4 Bears Down

Quote Originally Posted by josh_pattersin View Post
    Electricdyck I buy the pepperoni cute, binder and mix from stuffers sausage supply in Langley. Grind bear in my LEM 22 and mix it with 30% fatty pork like a shoulder. Simply mix in one pack of the seasoning which does 10 lbs and you’re ready to go. Stuff into collagen casings.

For smoking i did it in my big chief top load smoker. I made a thermal blanket out of some reflective insulation from Home Depot to help it get up to temp. Next step is a digital smoker. Smoked dry for 5 hours and then added traeger pellets for an hour. Top tray measured about 175 and bottom tray was 200 when done. Still pretty moist and malleable. Next I’m trying garlic sausage and summer sausage
    I always wondered if this is enough to kill trichinosis?

From what I have read and researched as long as the meat reaches an internal temperature of 163 that is sufficient. All this meat reached an internal temp of 175-200. No different than cooking in the oven etc in my mind? Hopefully this is correct haha

Great success and a good story !
    Arctic Lake

Great writeup and congrats, that's a great job of removing ungulate killers...

congrats bro!

Electricdyck I buy the pepperoni cute, binder and mix from stuffers sausage supply in Langley. Grind bear in my LEM 22 and mix it with 30% fatty pork like a shoulder. Simply mix in one pack of the seasoning which does 10 lbs and you’re ready to go. Stuff into collagen casings.

For smoking i did it in my big chief top load smoker. I made a thermal blanket out of some reflective insulation from Home Depot to help it get up to temp. Next step is a digital smoker. Smoked dry for 5 hours and then added traeger pellets for an hour. Top tray measured about 175 and bottom tray was 200 when done. Still pretty moist and malleable. Next I’m trying garlic sausage and summer sausage
    Thanks, I tend to use kits too, just simpler, usually high mountain, I like their italian suasage kit with bear, I dont smoke it just raw and into the freezer, great on the barbque. I'm not a huge fan of collagen casings and use real casings wherever possible, they seem to be thinner and don't split on the bbq..

Stuffers still on fraser highway in the same spot?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Great thread, I'm glad you took the time to write it up.

Sounds like one hell of a hunt!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

From what I have read and researched as long as the meat reaches an internal temperature of 163 that is sufficient. All this meat reached an internal temp of 175-200. No different than cooking in the oven etc in my mind? Hopefully this is correct haha
    Heres a helpful article written by Hank Shaw: https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

Whoa! Amazing write-up and pictures... 4 bear stories wrapped into 1 big story. It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats on a memorable hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Heres a helpful article written by Hank Shaw: https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

Thats great to know! Awesome article. All my meat hit 175 so should be totally fine