Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo sheep advice

Re: Solo sheep advice

I've rather enjoyed doing it alone since I was about 13 or so....

Thanks for all the information.
    I feel confident in my skills around objects (wet/slippery rocks/etc). Although anything can happen up there.

I will definitely get an inreach and possibly a pack alarm. Will message the wife every night (also sends gps coordinates).

My dog is useless in the cold. He is awesome at tracking animals though lol.

I think I will just need to get out there and take the considerations with food and do a lot of research to where I'm going. Unfortunately pre scouting from victoira is a long ways away!

Thanks for all your experiences

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Just an old fogeys advice. You should think of your kids and not go solo. Things can go south in the mountains.
    Things can go south in a hurry 5 minutes from home.

Solo hunting is extremely rewarding regardless of shooting game or not. If you go into it prepared and know for yourself you can think and remain calm when faced with a sketchy situation, then the risks are very manageable, especially when equipped with 2 way sat comms like inreach

My only regret is that I didn't start at a younger age.

If you are after a pac alarm, Marc the site owner still had a couple for sale not long ago. Barring that, if you are in a pinch, I have 2 and live in Duncan. I'd be happy to lend you one.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-29-2019 at 11:06 AM.

its a good idea to do a couple trial runs with your gear which you can do closer to home. If you can tough out a long solo there, you can do a sheep hunt.
    North island would be a good place to learn if you can stand yourself after 3 or 4 days in a wet tent )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    I've rather enjoyed doing it alone since I was about 13 or so....
    My son just figured out he likes doing it alone too. A year ago you couldn’t get him to take a shower now they are all 45 minutes long...

Highly recommend a solo hunt but you're really all-in up there going for sheep. Great accomplishments take great effort-- keep telling yourself that.

In InReach is the most important piece of kit. If sh*t hits the fan you can call in the calvary, not like the old days when you were really, really alone.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Dont worry about bears. We are our worst enemy when it comes to fears! I would worry more about the hazards of driving to your hunt area, thats where the real danger is! Every bear I have ever seen has run as fast as he can the other way when he has seen me. It can be intimidating being on the mountain alone but nothing is more rewarding!

I hunt solo for elk, moose. I also bow hunt. I’ve had a few hair raising encounters in the bush. Even then I’m not sure I’m going to be carrying a firearm this fall when I head out for elk. A Delorme inreach is key for me and peace of mind for my wife

Thanks again for all the varied experiences. I will probably head up solo if my buddy can't make it. I'll take things slow and check in with the wife regularly!

Just wondering if anyone can pass on some advice on hunting in the rain and having fires in the mountain while hunting for sheep.

If the rain is coming down fairly hard, is it worth setting up a tarp and glassing?

What are people's experience with having fires while hunting for sheep? Should I just avoid this all together? If going with a partner and a ram is down, maybe have a fire after one ram is down and use it to regroup?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    Allday
    Last edited by AllDay; 07-05-2019 at 08:32 AM.