Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift !!!!!!

The Gift !!!!!!

Six months ago while at archery practice at the local club a new couple showed up , him with an older compound and his wife with a brand new one . After hellos he stated "you don`t remember me do you " He then stated his name was Jeff and then it came back to me . Over 25 years ago while bowhunting in Rock Ck I would bump into Jeff and his Dad "Ernie" and thoughly enjoyed their company . He further stated that I sold him the bow that he now carried 25 years ago . Well after shooting our small 3-D course with a bunch of Tradies I suggested they try the Club`s youth longbows . Some what unsure they gave it a try and never touched their bows again . Soon Jeff ended up with a "Vlad" longbow and his Wife "C" had a second hand "Check-Mate Raven" recurve .
    All summer they practised each day and twice on Sat & Sun and in the process dragged me out . It was a joy mentering these two and the results of these sessions were evident with several first place finishes including the recent Abby Indoor .
    After one of our practice sessions Jeff stated that I probably was not aware that he was a Custom Knife maker and He and Cassandra wanted to make me a knife of my choice . After reviewing his web site I realised this was to be something very special , in particular since He welcomed my input .
    The following will be a series of posts with some of the detail involved in the making of "The Gift".
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Gift !!!!!!

Great story! Looking forward to the rest.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

HOLY COW GREYBARK!! How can you be a junior member with a story like this!That is too cool!!

Oh man...
    Great story. I love knives. Especially customs!
    What kind of knife will it be? Any particular features you'll be asking for?

Good on you GB, you have always been a class act. I am not a bowhunter ..... but I think their is still time.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

There were three " Planning Stages" , each after range practice sessions . The first two were general discussions of past experiences we had with hunting knives and in particular focused on a Puma Trapper`s Companion that I had for 53 years and dearly loved . It would be hard to retire but earned it`s place in my Trophy cabinate .
    The third session`s ideas were firmed up with Jeff sketching to scale "The Gift" on his design pad .
    These sessions plyed with appropiate beverages soon demonstrated the Jeff and I had very similar ideas on what consisted of a good knife and Cassandra`s critiques rounded all .
    Generally we did not want the "utillity" knife look but dwelled on an old fashioned and functional design . To be sure I`m not a knife maker but with my out of the box thinking coupled with Jeffs expertise and extensive knowledge resulted in a functional working form of art .
    The Gift is truly gorgeous and special.... you wil see . LOL

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Way to go Grey. And thanks for telling 'one' of your generous stories. I always knew, all the work you do for young people and for the lifestyle of archery would at some point turn around and bring you good fortune. If not in re-acquainted friends, in the form of a custom knife.

Well done.

OK , still unable to sleep with this on my mind .
    Points we considered ,
    Primary purpose of the knife would be Camp and General use with good Field dressing , boning out and cutting Game capabilities. And look good on the 3-D circuit LOL.
    The handle (scales) would be highly figured local Maple Burls and engineered for hardness and durability.
    The knife sheath would be functional with plain leather and would low slung the knife slightly below belt level for easier access and in conjunction with the knife have a "Leather Lock" anti- loss system.
    Healthy Brass front and rear Bolsters were a must and matched the caramel colour od the scales and contrasted nicely with the stainless steel blade .
    Cheers for now.......Have a bit of patience as pics will follow .

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Looking forward to knife pics
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

The Gift , a description that is taken off the "Certificate of Authenticity" .
    Type : Hunter
    Model : Greybark`s Bowhunter (named after the design founder) and stenciled on the blade
    Blade Length : 4-1/4 in ( 10.8 cm)
    Overall Lenght : 8-7/8 in (22.5 cm )
    Blade Thickness : 1/8 in (3.0 mm)
    Weight : 9.0 oz (255g)
    Sheath Weight: 3.8 oz (108g)
    Blade Steel : CPM154 High Chromium Martensitic Stainles Steel hardened and twice tempered to Rockwell C60 and polished finishes
    Bolsters : Brass
    Handle : Spaulted Maple Burl with Black Spacers
    Sheath : Hand-stiched leather .

Just a note on the blade steel , CPM is a process that enable carbides ( the scourge of top grade steels) to be further broken down by forcing the molten steel thru minute
    nozzles at high pressure where it transforms into a fine powder that is then compressed into solid steel . CPM154 is considered one of the finest steels for Knives and Tool applications .
    AND it`s in my knife !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahooeeeee...
    Cheers and pics to-night when I get help LOL.
    Last edited by greybark; 02-12-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC