Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May long bear down and a question..

Hybrid View

May long bear down and a question..

Me the folks and the wifey went out camping for may long weekend and I ended up getting a bear, in the past I have gotten them processed in the okanogan because I know a few places up there but now that I'm living down in the lower mainland I'm kind of hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a butcher or suasage maker down here. Where do you folks send your wild game to be processed? Any suggestions?

The wife would probably not be to happy about me posting a pic of her after 4 days with no makeup but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about this site hahaha.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_202427-240x427.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	7420

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: May long bear down and a question..

She looks great and so does the bear, , tell her not to be mad lol
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I hear Sumas Meats recommended the most, but never taken bear to a butcher.

Edit: Agree with what Pioneerman. I'm sure she'd be fine with that one. It's a great picture. Now for the story though... you gotta tell us the hunt story. How'd it all go down?
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2019 at 10:15 PM.

uli does bears...

I have had decent luck with Sumas. They have done a few moose and deer for us over the years. I'd give them a 8/10.

Ok the hunt story, so my parents have been hunting since the dawn of time but they mostly road hunt now as they are getting up there in age and my dad broke both his feet a while back and now moves around like Cotton Hill from king of the hill.
    So they cruised off around daybreak and me and the girlfriend stayed in bed because bears are lazy and so are we lol.
    I knew of a few good deactivated fsr's from working around that area years ago ( Adam's lake area). So we spent the days doing a mixture of road hunting and hiking the deactivated old logging roads. Seen a few bears including some nice color phases but they were all smaller then we would have liked. Honestly it seemed like I ended up seeing close to the same amount of bear or bear sign on both the active roads and the deactivated roads so I guess my parents may be on to something after all. Certainly they get less mosquito bites. On the 4th day in the afternoon we came around a bend in this old logging road and spotted a blob of brown about 100ish yards up the road. (One nice thing about walking is you are less likely to run up on them and cause them to bolt like in a truck).
    We slowly backpedaled out of sight and confired. I said " color phase about 100 yards up the road" she said "you didnt see the black one?" Apparently there were two! My initial though was mother and cub because I had never seen bears hanging out in such close proximity before otherwise.
    We carefully and slowly moved back around the corner and I had a chance to scope them both. They had both moved further up the road by then but i got a good look at both and while the black one was a bit bigger they were both definatly adults. The black one moved into a depression in the ground and disappeared from sight. We confired again and decided to take the bigger black one if possible. The plan was to stalk up closer on an angle to try to get a view of the black one while not being noticed by the brown one. My girlfriend opted to stay back as she is like a bull in a china shop when she is trying to move quietly and she was not a big fan of the idea of sneaking up on bears anyways. Go figure. I start my approach and had a strong wind blowing my way in my favor. Get back to within about a hundred yards of the brown one again and another 20 or 30 yards past that one is the black one on the other side of the road. Both of them are just happily rooting around and grazing but the black one keeps disappearing out of sight into the ditch and behind the rock rubble on the other side of the road. I get a little closer but still only have a decent shot at the brown one, I'm starting to get frustrated now as at any point I'm figuring I will get spotted or the wind will change and I will be screwed. The black one hasnt appeared again for what feels like forever and I decide to take a chance and show myself to hopefully cause the brown one to bail and the black one to stick its head up to see what's the commotion. I walk from cover out into the middle of the road, the brown one looks at me..and very very casually climbs up the hill beside the road and is gone. Still no black one.. at this point i honestly figured he was also gone and had smelled a rat at some point and quietly departed. I start walking up the middle of the road to go see if i can see footprints or something and probably less then 50 yards away the black one I thought was gone hopped up on the bank and looked around! I really couldn't have missed at that range. Headshot and he ( turns out it was a boar) went down right there and then. We celebrated and then began the loooooong process of getting the heavy ass body back to the road where we could load it with great difficulty into the truck. Got back after dark and celebrated again with the family.
    All in all a good day.
    Still dont know why they were hanging out so close together, were they maybe siblings? Dont they leave and go solo when they reach maturity? Maybe they were mating and the brown one was a female? Do they hang around together after they get it on? Bears are strange critters lol

the rut is on, certainly a mating pair. nice bear! i am headed out with the kids today looking for a bear

Well I kind of feel like a ******* now for breaking up their relationship lol.
    Good luck out there, they are certainly up and moving now.

Quote Originally Posted by youbetcha View Post
    Well I kind of feel like a ******* now for breaking up their relationship lol.
    Good luck out there, they are certainly up and moving now.
    Assuming you took the boar, another one will be on that sow before you know it lol, may not be as big but will still plant next generations seed.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Assuming you took the boar, another one will be on that sow before you know it lol, may not be as big but will still plant next generations seed.
    It was definitely a dude, had big ole balls on him, unless he identifies as a female, apparently gender is considered fluid now after all