Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Lake cowichan area has BIG bulls, and the timber co will give you keys if you ask nicely and have proof of your draw. 1-04b
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I have been told I'm wrong in my opinion on hunting rosies..... had a few guys laugh at me here..... so take it for what you like...... side note I have shot a 6x6 rosie....

forget the rut. 3 Reasons. 1 the odds are usually way worse..... of course if your putting in for one of these super crappy odd hunts then sure put in for the rut.
    second, the second hunt is some times a longer timeline... giving you ........ longer....
    third in some areas the elk are up in the mountains, some crappy weather can drive them out.

keep in mind these animals are not hunted a lot... it is LEH and poaching.. they are not under pressure by the masses for a long time.
    when you go to the good areas on the island you see elk... you go to a good deer spot on the island you don't see shit.... Where they are it is easy to see, they trash an area pretty good...

now sure you can take it as far as you like, strip down what I said and come up with reasons why I'm wrong.... That's fine. this is just "laymens terms" simplified.. and part of it is area specific...... Farm hunting in lower elevation draws is totally different from mountain hunting in Sayward..

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    so question for the guys that live in Rosi country and/or have hunted them. When do the rut? Elk hunting without using calls isn't something I have had success with, and I really love the rush of calling animals whether its moose elk or turkey and having that interaction with them. Up north I would say Sept 15-31 is the best time to hunt elk, same with the kootenays, Is Oct 10 really a time that the elk will be talking a lot in Reg 1?
    I carried my calls but pretty much stayed quiet and waited in ambush on trails they use or spot/stalk.
    I had the luck of living 10 minutes from where I drew my tag. I still talked to regional bios and was told mid Sept-mid Oct for rut. One of the landowners I hunted told me they frequently see a secondary rut and herding of cows into Nov..

I scouted the herd and the bull I shot from mid summer up to my hunt. He was herding cows and chasing smaller bulls on labor day weekend. I had elk bugeling and sparring throughout my hunt and the only reason I got the shot at my bull on 27 Oct was because he charged across the field to run a smaller bull off that was getting to close to his girls.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.

They can start bugling in the later part of August.
    By early September they are still potentially quite vocal.
    I have hunted them right into the early week of October and had them bugle.

Now, if we are talking Rosie's a coveted LEH etc.
    I know my friend who got a draw a couple years back did bugle and cow call.
    A couple of smaller bulls did come in.
    But, not really anything big and I suspect they had the cows so bugling is a bad choice and you need to be fairly close for cow calls compared to a bugle.

In the end, on their last day while driving around, they drove around a bend and there 150 yards in
    front of them was the one 6pt bull they were looking for (the big 9X8 was taken by FN early on).
    So, no calling required!!
    Just stupid plain luck!

On top of that, we got to know a few of the locals while scouting in the summer.
    So, being that the elk was dead beside the road, we got the use of a tractor to lift it straight
    into the box of another locals pick up!
    Talk about some nice people!

So, scouting and driving can be just as good I suppose!
    But calling will always be a benefit most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    To add,,,
    The ferry costs are around 4-500 dollars return with a truck and trailer.
    The hunting for rosie on the main land is just as good as here.....
    no I'm not trying to keep you off my island,,,, whats one more guy....
    but if I was you id go 2
    2 years ago, it was $300 one way with truck and trailer($600 return) not to mention driving to and from the island. Well over a thousand dollars simply in transportation costs alone. I would do it again in a heartbeat. lol
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

There is no question in my mind what is "the holy grail"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...vet-Moose-quot
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I remember that thread.... it was a good one.......
    Now Remember, I said at the beginning I was not trying to keep people off the island.... And if you remember there was that member who posted a R2 hunt that got him an incredible elk..
    As for yours.. please read my post #122 in your thread!

I wonder what is the average number of years it takes to win a Rosie draw? I figure I only have another 15 years of hunting left in me. LOL

Spent over $1000 myself on a partners region 2 Rosie hunt, himself around the same. Also had an $8k insurance claim on my old west coast fishin machine the same trip. Makes a ferry ride to the island and driving to within walking distance of a hammer west coast Rosie seem reel cheep HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Highest odds is probably your holy grail..
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...