Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Hmmm. Looks like all those hunts are off the books for me.

Tbh id rather hunt coast / island for a hunt like this instead of the mainland anyways.

We are talking about Roosevelt Elk hunts are we not? As far as i can tell there are no Rosies in the Prince George region.

Quote Originally Posted by bchunter181 View Post

everything with a star is all private land only!

Couldnt be further away from the holy grail of Elk tags HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Couldnt be further away from the holy grail of Elk tags HA
    I'll agree, as any elk draw would be nice.. if I'm going for a hail Mary it might as be *THE ONE* that appeals to me the most ^^ a Rosie is definitely preferable. I'm only 29 so I may get a draw before I can't hunt anymore if I start now !

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I would think it would be easier from a hunting and scouting perspective to apply for the Roseys in MU2 vs MU1. Same elk same or better odds of a big bull, and no ferries to deal with. As for the island, I don't think there are any bad choices, but just be aware that some areas are behind gates on private land, and may limit access and hunting opportunities. Good Luck what ever your choice.

To add,,,
    The ferry costs are around 4-500 dollars return with a truck and trailer.
    The hunting for rosie on the main land is just as good as here.....
    no I'm not trying to keep you off my island,,,, whats one more guy....
    but if I was you id go 2

Dont be deterred about the private land hunts. In my area on the island, the landowners are sick and tired of the damage the elk are doing. And the logging company I spoke to before the draw was more than happy to give me keys to gates for the period of my draw if I won a tag. Only one landowner in my leh area last year wouldnt allow hunters. But most would give access to the first LEH Hunter that contacted them.

If its truly a "holy grail" hunt be prepared.
    Be smart "and serious" about what you will do if you win those tags.
    Get your list of landowner contacts before the draw. Start making phone calls, or visits if you can as soon as you know you got your tag.

And as far as transport costs for a "holy grail" hunt, what's a few hundred in ferry's? Every island hunter does it every year to do their mainland GOS hunts. Ya the cost sucks but it doesn't stop most guys from going where they want to go.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-24-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Ron.C
    As much as I am one of those guys on the island that travels 2 times a year to the mainland towing a trailer for a holiday and a hunting trip......... Given the question.... Rosie Elk.... if I was coming from the mainland id put in for 2 Somewhere.
    The hunt is identical the animal is identical the odds are identical and from what I read the success is the same as well.. id save the money on the boat and spend it on Scouting the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I'll agree, as any elk draw would be nice.. if I'm going for a hail Mary it might as be *THE ONE* that appeals to me the most ^^ a Rosie is definitely preferable. I'm only 29 so I may get a draw before I can't hunt anymore if I start now !
    Well one is for sure, you can't win a lottery without a ticket, a buddy of mine had a draw around Gold River and two years later he had another one, you never know.

so question for the guys that live in Rosi country and/or have hunted them. When do the rut? Elk hunting without using calls isn't something I have had success with, and I really love the rush of calling animals whether its moose elk or turkey and having that interaction with them. Up north I would say Sept 15-31 is the best time to hunt elk, same with the kootenays, Is Oct 10 really a time that the elk will be talking a lot in Reg 1?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Last week of September they are full stinky. Usually a week or two before opening. I wouldn't judge Island elk as the "Holy Grail", of elk hunting. Probably is the easiest and highest chance of success if that is your judging criteria. Personally I'd prefer a horseback into remote big country over driving logging roads and checking out the same slashes over and over again until he shows up. All in a relatively small "zone". Getting the LEH is the toughest part.