Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    you're right RyoTHC, hard to beat a nice 2-3 year old cow elk on the table.

But this makes me smile everyday.

Why did you have to do that !? Now I'll be even more salty when I don't get a draw lol

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    If you shoot a herd bull just after the rut when many of these draws are then there is a very good chance he will be run down and not the best eating,of course you will be looking at that rack for many years after the meat is long gone.

Personally as i have aged the need for that huge rack is diminished. I know if i get a Rosie draw i will take the first bull i see as long as he is not a spike. Heresy to some but it does not have to be a trophy hunt,nothing wrong with just getting some good eats.

with every other animal I would agree with you..... Not the "heard bull being not as good as a small bull" but the if you get a draw shoot the medium bull...... FOR ME..... Rosie is the only "Trophy hunt" .. I shoot medium stuff all the time for meat. But them elk is 100% biggest bull I can find. If I ever get so lucky again I will not shoot anything smaller than a 315" 6X6 unless I'm packed up and driving home on the last day...

We all have different animals we would like to see on the wall... for me its them...

Thumbs up Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    ... We all have different animals we would like to see on the wall... for me its them...
    I'm with ya Buddy.
    With 29 elk under my belt at this stage, I really want number 30 to be a HAMMER!
    And I would absolutely LOVE it were that to be an Island Rosie!

Seen many a Gagger over the years here, but as we all know, getting the tag seems like an exercise in futility most of the time.
    Nonetheless, I already put into the zone I would like. Sharp sticks of course.
    And if I do manage to draw, I will be there a week early and right to the last possible second if that what it takes...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    If you shoot a herd bull just after the rut when many of these draws are then there is a very good chance he will be run down and not the best eating,of course you will be looking at that rack for many years after the meat is long gone.

Personally as i have aged the need for that huge rack is diminished. I know if i get a Rosie draw i will take the first bull i see as long as he is not a spike. Heresy to some but it does not have to be a trophy hunt,nothing wrong with just getting some good eats.
    Thanks for the reply !
    Arctic Lake

Sorry have really not looked into an LEH draw for elk but it is very appealing ! Are all the elk draws in region 1 and 2 archery only or is there a hunt to use a firearm . I'm not a bow man .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 06-05-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Sorry have really not looked into an LEH draw for elk but it is very appealing ! Are all the elk draws in region 1 and 2 archery only or is there a hunt to use a firearm . I'm not a bow man .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Not sure about reg 1 but all reg 2 mainland elk can be hunted with a rifle. They're far enough out of city limits. Stave, pitt, indian arm, squamish etc.

Sunshine coast elk might be bow only as well.

Yes, there are Reg 1 LEH rifle elk hunts

Firstly, going to be differentiating between Elk Hunt and Draw. Hunt, for me, is Rocky Mountain Elk. Hike or horse with camping. Draw is 4:20 antlerless. Odds, thinking it's about 1:111 if I recall... Gauranteed great meat supply!

Arctic Lake,

There is only a few Bow only Zones in R1 By far the Majority is Rifle.... But Pay attention...... The Odds usually tell you. If the odds are great there is either an access issue or its a less than desired for other reasons.... I like to enter draws with odds around 70-80:1

Thanks for your replies fellas ! Always helpful members on here !
    Arctic Lake