Checked out a new area with my son this weekend for yet another poke around for a spring burger bear. I had found this south facing burn the fall before last (my first hunting trip ever) but hadn't been back to explore it more thoroughly since then.

Hiked up Saturday morning, made lunch and set up camp. Poked around the immediate vicinity and couldn't believe how much sign there was from what I'm assuming is moose, significantly bigger pellets and piles than I've ever seen in Roosevelt elk country. Lots of fresh bear sign around as well...the burn has grown in a bit since I was last there but we poked through some of the game trails and clearings trying to find the chewed up grass while listening to the grouse drumming and keeping our eyes open for sheds and morels.

Didn't bump any bears in the evening and the kid is letting me know it's about time for dinner. Oops, dad forgot the spoons! No problem, put my bushcraft skills to work and carve one right? Must have sharpened my knife a bit too well before we left and sliced open my thumb, I guess hunger got the best of me. Was cute seeing my son sprint to my backpack to get the first aid kit but then not know what to do with it...luckily it wasn't a bad cut but I'll have to go over some basics with him in case I ever can't handle something myself.