Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The burn

Re: The burn

Good story, that looks like a great time! I can't wait to do this with my kids. How old is your son? My 4 year old woke up on Sunday and asked if we could go bear hunting, which was a big step for him; he's been terrified of the thought of bears up until now. We just drove around some back roads looking for any animals to see until he fell asleep. Didn't see any bears with him, but went for a bike ride at home in the evening and had one walk right up the trail within 15 yards. Go figure.

guest Guest

Great Share. Awesome time with your little fella.
    Thanks for posting

If a couple areas somewhat near each other have sign, I just keep rotating through them until they come out. Especially early season. Buddy and I lucked out and found an area most would pass up but we usually get a couple there every Easter weekend by rotating through. Gets disheartening at times, but they always pop out for a feed eventually. Some big guys have been out as early as 9-10 in the morning early on in the season. I always seem to see bears within a km or so of running water but I'm still new to this. Can't wait to get my son out! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing, it’s a great story. I wish you and your son great success this season.
    CranePete

Great story man, thanks !!

Awesome story. It's not always about harvesting an animal. Cherish the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post

Your non-day-trip spot sounds a lot better. Some human traffic is fine. Bears still live in those areas and know how to deal with that stuff. They usually just hear a vehicle, duck in the bush then come back out when it passes (funny I do the same thing) I prefer hearing vehicles in the distance though and only seeing the odd one.

Another thing worth noting is that when bears detect you or even if you scare the crap out of them, they usually don't go for. They hide and wait for your to pass. I can only recall a couple bears out of dozens of such encounters that ran for the next time zone... on average, 15 yards into the nearest cover and most of the time they will come back out in short order.

The other thing worth mentioning is that in that kind of terrain if you're poking in and out of feeding spots it's going to happen pretty fast... every step is a different view and 10-15 yard windows open up each step. If the wind is right and the bear is focused on munching you'll get time to evaluate the situation and draw back... it will probably be close up but still take your time... if it's meant to be great and if not then it's a cool story too.
    Good to know. I think I've definitely blown it by moving along too quickly after spooking one. What do you think about the diameter of that log? There was bigger piles than that for sure but I've heard the diameter is a more telltale sign. Also found one of those broken saplings you talked about, was broken off at about 6' at some of the fur in the sap was blonde, almost white. There are definitely griz in the area, think it could be BB fur that got bleached from the sun or more likely griz? Height of the break in the sapling had me thinking griz but I'll have to let the trail cam gather some intel for me. That burn is full of blueberries in late summer/early fall so I think whatever bears are there now will be there for the next while.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Good story, that looks like a great time! I can't wait to do this with my kids. How old is your son? My 4 year old woke up on Sunday and asked if we could go bear hunting, which was a big step for him; he's been terrified of the thought of bears up until now. We just drove around some back roads looking for any animals to see until he fell asleep. Didn't see any bears with him, but went for a bike ride at home in the evening and had one walk right up the trail within 15 yards. Go figure.
    He'll be 10 in August, he's been coming out with me since he was 7 though. Awesome that your boy is showing interest so early, just keep it light at first, keep him fed and gradually get him more and more active!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Any time spent with your kid is time well spent and even better when it’s outdoors

Log doesn't seem particularly big. I don't think you can ever tell if a mediocre poop came from a big bear or a small bear. At least with any certainty. If I see tiny ones I think cubs and if I see ones with the width getting close to the size of a can, I can't help but start to think it came from a big guy. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. The main thing is you're seeing a lot of them and there will be lots more you're not seeing.

Saplings broken off at 6 feet could be big or small. Bears will pull them down, straddle them and rough them up in all sorts of ways. The part that would be the most telling is the part that is broken. If it's a small healthy tree and the part broken off is thick, you know it took some power. Anyway, you at least know the bear has the stones to be openly advertising his intent to service the ladies at a rough bar.

As for the color of the hair as mentioned they will straddle and rub themselves all over these. The hair is probably going to be either from the face or more likely the underside. A lot of blackies rock white or blonde patches / crests on their chest. Could be any color of bear.

If there are blueberries there in the fall, sounds like a good place to hit in the fall. What matters now is if there's good feed now. If there's decent grass, clover, dandelions, bug infested stumps/lots they'll be hanging out. With the freshly broken off saplings, I think they'll be hanging around.

Oh and if you spook a bear, mind the wind. Pretend to leave in whatever direction the wind was more favorable. You can wait for it to come back out (best if the bear didn't have purpose like feeding and just wanted to cross the road / trail) or you can actually leave for a bit (15-20 mins) and walk back in (might be better if you think he wants to hang out and feed).
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-22-2019 at 12:38 PM.