Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The burn

Re: The burn

Good stuff and congrats.
    Thanks for the time to share.

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

great story and thanks for sharing it...I too love that tent/night sky photo..a real beauty...my trick for hunting is that I always count my steps..er.. actually paces (every 2nd step) and force myself to stop and do a complete look around...really good areas might mean slowing down to 1, 2 or 3 paces...areas with longer views and less noisey I might go 5 to 15 paces.....30 is my max even when walking to or from a spot on a road even when dark...I have snuck up on several bobcats and bears that did not know I was there as well as a cougar with this stalking method. I watched that cougar perched on a rock with his back to me for about 5 minutes then let out a cough......he looked so pissed that I was able to sneak up on him like that...heheheh

Great story. I really like that you found that fire road with no quadders on it. Looks like a great area overall.

Great to have family along. My wife liked to come and camp out and tend the fire but wasn't into the hunting bit even though she has killed a deer and numerous domestic animals in her time. Her back can't take sleeping in the "cramper' any more though; my truck canopy.

My daughter came on numerous hunting trips with me and was present for a bear kill when she was a teenager. They are both skilled home butchers too.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Love the fact that your son is tagging along and getting into it. I'm in that phase (late teens) where my boys would sooner be chasing girls than bears and I really miss those hunts.

Pay close attention to what Caddis says, that guy has hunted a bear or two.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Awesome story and pictures. You are a hell of a good dad.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Log doesn't seem particularly big. I don't think you can ever tell if a mediocre poop came from a big bear or a small bear. At least with any certainty. If I see tiny ones I think cubs and if I see ones with the width getting close to the size of a can, I can't help but start to think it came from a big guy. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. The main thing is you're seeing a lot of them and there will be lots more you're not seeing.

Saplings broken off at 6 feet could be big or small. Bears will pull them down, straddle them and rough them up in all sorts of ways. The part that would be the most telling is the part that is broken. If it's a small healthy tree and the part broken off is thick, you know it took some power. Anyway, you at least know the bear has the stones to be openly advertising his intent to service the ladies at a rough bar.

As for the color of the hair as mentioned they will straddle and rub themselves all over these. The hair is probably going to be either from the face or more likely the underside. A lot of blackies rock white or blonde patches / crests on their chest. Could be any color of bear.

If there are blueberries there in the fall, sounds like a good place to hit in the fall. What matters now is if there's good feed now. If there's decent grass, clover, dandelions, bug infested stumps/lots they'll be hanging out. With the freshly broken off saplings, I think they'll be hanging around.

Oh and if you spook a bear, mind the wind. Pretend to leave in whatever direction the wind was more favorable. You can wait for it to come back out (best if the bear didn't have purpose like feeding and just wanted to cross the road / trail) or you can actually leave for a bit (15-20 mins) and walk back in (might be better if you think he wants to hang out and feed).
    I was actually thinking the fur looked more like chest blaze fur than sun bleached fur, most of the videos I had seen of bears rubbing on trees have been just using it like a back scratcher though so wondered if they did rub their chest at all too. It was a good sized tree though, about 4-5" across. Didn't look freshly broken, lots of fur in the sap though, some black, some white and some brown/blonde so probably multiple bears hitting it.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing. Love the fact that your son is tagging along and getting into it. I'm in that phase (late teens) where my boys would sooner be chasing girls than bears and I really miss those hunts.

Pay close attention to what Caddis says, that guy has hunted a bear or two.
    Definitely enjoying it while I can, I know priorities can change quick! Caddis has been my go to bear expert and has provided me lots of invaluable info over the last couple years, very appreciative for all the dumb rookie questions he's answered, insight he's given me about the spots I hunt and what to be on the lookout for.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Awesome story and pictures. You are a hell of a good dad.
    Thank you sir, means a lot!

Thanks for sharing, that is awesome, well done! Great write up and pics - inspiring! My daughter just turned 6 and she already wants to come out, has helped me scout and spot tracks in the snow last winter. What a wonderful time to share with your son, great job!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton