Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring B-Bear Pursuit 2019

Spring B-Bear Pursuit 2019

I’ll start by saying that I should be taking more pics! My buddy and I have been putting in some time on b-bears. Went out on a warm day and came across a few bears: a sow and cub, a 2 year old, a decent boar, and a smallish bear that sat in a ditch and didn’t want to move! The boar was nice. Stocky, round and very healthy looking. He was under 5 ft and not what we were looking for. Want a slightly bigger bear in the 5 ft plus class, preferably a boar. Came across a logging cut that was L-O-U-S-Y with deer tracks, same place we saw the boar.

Went out a few days later and it was rainy and cool. Overall, not as many bears. Lots of scat everywhere, though. We went back to the cut where we saw the boar earlier. We came across the largest mule deer track we’ve seen in years – huge! Will definitely need to go put up a game cam to see what kind of deer are hanging around there! Anyway, we came across a large sow in the company of a good sized boar. We watched them feeding for about 45 minutes. The sow eventually went to bed down in the treeline in a hollow. The boar joined her about 15 minutes later. He walked around her and bedded right beside her. Any other day, we probably would’ve taken that boar but we decided that because they were a breeding pair, we let him walk. Good bear, good genes.

The second day wasn’t as productive for bears. Probably too cool and wet. But we saw a lot of scat, more than the first day, so they are moving. Next step is to take a quick trip to the North Thompson. Always good for bears! More to follow! Hope everyone is having a great time out there and being safe!
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 05-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring B-Bear Pursuit 2019

Good to hear your seeing good deer sign, and any day getting out for spring bear is a good day...hope ya nail him next time...

I dropped a decent one today. Is there anyone that could post a couple pics for me?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I dropped a decent one today. Is there anyone that could post a couple pics for me?

I dropped one Tuesday and still can't get the pictures up on mobile. Glad I'm not the only one, I'll have to borrow a laptop and get them up asap.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I dropped one Tuesday and still can't get the pictures up on mobile. Glad I'm not the only one, I'll have to borrow a laptop and get them up asap.
    On a gross note, i changed the game bag after of few hours and the neck had lots of filarial worms crawling out of it. Yuck...

On a gross note, i changed the game bag after of few hours and the neck had lots of filarial worms crawling out of it. Yuck...

Thats why i cannot eat bear meat...

love hunting them... let some big ones walk this year so far, I’m looking for the perfect bear for a rug. I’m prob going to eat my tag. At least it won’t give me worms.

Hope you guys get your pics up !! Congrats to the bears.

Contact Ironnoggin, he posted some of my success pics for me a couple weeks ago.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I’ll start by saying that I should be taking more pics! My buddy and I have been putting in some time on b-bears. Went out on a warm day and came across a few bears: a sow and cub, a 2 year old, a decent boar, and a smallish bear that sat in a ditch and didn’t want to move! The boar was nice. Stocky, round and very healthy looking. He was under 5 ft and not what we were looking for. Want a slightly bigger bear in the 5 ft plus class, preferably a boar. Came across a logging cut that was L-O-U-S-Y with deer tracks, same place we saw the boar.

Went out a few days later and it was rainy and cool. Overall, not as many bears. Lots of scat everywhere, though. We went back to the cut where we saw the boar earlier. We came across the largest mule deer track we’ve seen in years – huge! Will definitely need to go put up a game cam to see what kind of deer are hanging around there! Anyway, we came across a large sow in the company of a good sized boar. We watched them feeding for about 45 minutes. The sow eventually went to bed down in the treeline in a hollow. The boar joined her about 15 minutes later. He walked around here and bedded right beside her. Any other day, we probably would’ve taken that boar but we decided that because they were a breeding pair, we let him walk. Good bear, good genes.

The second day wasn’t as productive for bears. Probably too cool and wet. But we saw a lot of scat, more than the first day, so they are moving. Next step is to take a quick trip to the North Thompson. Always good for bears! More to follow! Hope everyone is having a great time out there and being safe!
    Sounds like a great outing. It's always exciting to see some bears, even if the situation or bear is a pass. Looking forward to your next trip report. Pictures are a bonus but secondary to write-ups in my opinion.

That muley buck track sure sounds exciting too!

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

love hunting them... let some big ones walk this year so far, I’m looking for the perfect bear for a rug. I’m prob going to eat my tag. At least it won’t give me worms.

Is it a population thing to certain areas ? Myself and my two hunting buddies have pulled 8-9 bears out of the same couple KM of valley and the meat has been nothing short of fantastic. No sign of worms or any nasties.. but I hear alot of people complain about it so I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

The worms look gross, but not a health risk for humans. I'm telling myself that the worms all crawled out of the bear as it hangs on a hook at my butcher.

1/2 mild, 1/2 medium pepperoni. Skinned and gutted it weighed 128lbs.