Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring B-Bear Pursuit 2019

Re: Spring B-Bear Pursuit 2019

Maybe I'm just lucky or oblivious. We spend hours cutting, trimming and cleaning the meat before we vacuum pack. Every little hair or spec of dirt is gone and I've never missed a bullet fragment. I have never once seen anything that resembled a worm, let alone seen anything crawling. Hoping my luck continues!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky or oblivious. We spend hours cutting, trimming and cleaning the meat before we vacuum pack. Every little hair or spec of dirt is gone and I've never missed a bullet fragment. I have never once seen anything that resembled a worm, let alone seen anything crawling. Hoping my luck continues!
    It was a first for me, but apparrently it does happen. Mostly around the neck. Long- some were maybe 6".
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    It was a first for me, but apparrently it does happen. Mostly around the neck. Long- some were maybe 6".
    I wonder how common this is and if it is more common in some areas than others. I know guys who have harvested bears around where I hunt and have had these worms.

My understanding is they are transmitted by mosquitoes so you'd think if one bear in an area has them then most would have them. Also curious why people don't get them from the flies / skeeters around BC but can in tropical regions? Maybe different strain I guess...

From the little bit of reading I did, it sounds like they commonly infect the lungs and lymphatic system. Maybe that is why people are seeing them in neck meat as there are a lot of lymph nodes there?

I shot my first bear last week and it also had the filarial worms. I always take my time processing and found they liked the neck/ groin regions best and they we’re all in between the meat layers. Im fairly confident I got rid of 95% of them and seeing as they are harmless to humans the remainder of them will be extra protein in the sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The worms look gross, but not a health risk for humans. I'm telling myself that the worms all crawled out of the bear as it hangs on a hook at my butcher.

1/2 mild, 1/2 medium pepperoni. Skinned and gutted it weighed 128lbs.
    thats a good bear. Just with some extra protein.

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    thats a good bear. Just with some extra protein.

Congrats
    Thanks, here's a couple of pictures:

https://ibb.co/xMddNRd
    https://ibb.co/Z89K6qC
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Black on black. Nice.