Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Have seen lakes in the past with perch etc in them.
    Definitely ruined some trophy rainbow trout lakes.
    (wish those folks from back east and down south would stay there and stop doing it)

Sorry for going off topic, but does show how one species can displace or take down another one.
    I guess one plus side is yellow perch taste amazing right ? I can't wait for my Ontario trip to catch and eat dozens

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I guess one plus side is yellow perch taste amazing right ? I can't wait for my Ontario trip to catch and eat dozens
    It would make sense seeing that people do take liberties here to maybe designate the odd lake in
    southern parts of bc for species like perch/bass.

But than again I think that is considered "invasive species".
    Worse is that it wouldn't stop some from taking some from one lake and putting them elsewhere.
    Some folks cant help themselves I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    It would make sense seeing that people do take liberties here to maybe designate the odd lake in
    southern parts of bc for species like perch/bass.

But than again I think that is considered "invasive species".
    Worse is that it wouldn't stop some from taking some from one lake and putting them elsewhere.
    Some folks cant help themselves I guess?
    My reply was tongue in cheek, I don't think anything should be put into ecosystems it wasn't naturally in.

BUT I'd rather it be bass and perch which are completely edible and enjoyable than something like Asian carp, snake head, goby or any of those other fun things.

IF something is going to out compete our food sources we should atleast see the silver lining if it's something edible and delicious like white tail and perch.

Same could be said for wild boar (can outbreed wolves!)

Anyways, cant imagine hunting WT down near the LM/
    So much private property too!
    And a lot of them are tree hugger I suspect, so hard to get permission??

My wife's friend in Mission just posted up pictures of deer in her backyard on Facebook. Guess what? Whitetails!

You know when random people deep in the LML start posting pictures "check out these deer in my backyard" and they're WT's that their numbers are getting high.

Sounds like we'll be seeing them around in Langley pretty soon.

It's funny, I was just coming off the KVR into Brookmere Sunday afternoon and had 3 blacktails right beside the truck. Wife got pics, not spooked at all. 2 bucks with velvet nubs and a doe. Made me think about this thread. Seems all 3 species are coexisting no problem up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    It's funny, I was just coming off the KVR into Brookmere Sunday afternoon and had 3 blacktails right beside the truck. Wife got pics, not spooked at all. 2 bucks with velvet nubs and a doe. Made me think about this thread. Seems all 3 species are coexisting no problem up there.
    They can for a time, until the WT explode in population in a specific area.
    Then it doesn't work to well.
    I still think logging is a big reason as to why WT have been able to expand.
    Our landscape has changed big time in the last 25 years or so with all the cutblocks (some areas are more like miles of timber removed).
    Allows WT to inhabit areas they never would have.
    Just look at the terrain BT live in when it is in it's natural state, no WT would use it.
    But that is no longer the case.
    Another example of how humans can change things by what we do.
    (Not blaming anyone who logs/forestry etc, but just a fact of "how it is")

I have seen whitetail does and bucks in that area over the years. I found it odd to see the Blacktail there. The Muleys we have seen so far this year look Big and Healthey. Thats my short cut to my spring time fishin lakes. Happy with what I have seen so far this year, animal wise. Gives me Hope.

I have been told by local FN residents in PoCo there are WTs in PoCo area. I've never seen one, but I am not surprised.
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

I didn’t read all the pages of this thread, but I may have the westernmost sighting so far. I’m on 168th street in South Surrey overlooking the ocean, and my Weimaraner just bounced some deer on the lower half of my acreage. I was about 20 yards away and yup, you guessed it... whitetail! Lord knows I’ve seen the back side of enough of those things trying to get one into my freezer. 100% positive ID on whitetail in Whiterock! (well, a three minute drive from Whiterock).
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.